Bouncing Claymore

I've got into using my Claymore SE now, part of me enjoys it more than my DE, but it is very aggressive. My plan it to go to a milder blade soon.

Anyway, when I shave, I go with the grain for a first pass, and then touch up, often against the grain, on a second pass. Most of the second pass goes well, but when I go up under the chin, the razor seems to bounce, pulling and generally not being pleasant. I'm not sure if this is just going against gravity, or if there's something wrong in my technique.

I'm using a good lather from Porasso, and the blades are Feather Pros, so I don't think it's them, it's probably me holding the razor wrong or something of the sort. But I don't have the issue with my DE, and I don't really want to start applying pressure!

Has anyone else had this? Anyone got advice to stop it?

I've got into using my Claymore SE now, part of me enjoys it more than my DE, but it is very aggressive. My plan it to go to a milder blade soon.

Anyway, when I shave, I go with the grain for a first pass, and then touch up, often against the grain, on a second pass. Most of the second pass goes well, but when I go up under the chin, the razor seems to bounce, pulling and generally not being pleasant. I'm not sure if this is just going against gravity, or if there's something wrong in my technique.

I'm using a good lather from Porasso, and the blades are Feather Pros, so I don't think it's them, it's probably me holding the razor wrong or something of the sort. But I don't have the issue with my DE, and I don't really want to start applying pressure!

Has anyone else had this? Anyone got advice to stop it?
I've only used mine the once but it went without hitch. Going from Straight Razors to this SE, with the advice of @Kypros Christodoulides, I approached with a nice shallow angle, in a similar fashion you would with a SR.

I'd say your best bet is to focus on starting as shallow as can be and gradually increasing the angle in those problem areas. I did this with my first pass on my first outing and found the angle which best suited me quite quickly. Atop this, have you mapped your hair growth? You could be going against the grain which can cause some skipping with some people, depending on how stubborn your bristles are.

In short, my guess is too steep an angle. :)

Ive just orderd the claymore head ive some feather pro and some kia titan mild to try.
Hope it works ok im not to bad dont mind an aggressive razor may try and balance it with a light but chunky handle if i can find one.sammy.
From what I've heard, people seem to advise using the Kia Titan Mild rather than the feather. Unfrotunatly, I didn't know that and ordered some feathers, which are just a bit too aggressive, which is putting me off making the Claymore my go-to.

See how light a touch you can go with the Feather Professional - they're a very, very efficient blade and as a result don't require any pressure. The Kai Pinks are definitely a good blade, however. I've used the Claymore with a Feather and that made for a cracking shave.

I had a go this morning and it went well enough. Though it does seem to take more care than anything else I've done... Soldering 0.5x1mm devices is easy, shaving with a Claymore and a feather blade, is tricky!

I had a go this morning and it went well enough. Though it does seem to take more care than anything else I've done... Soldering 0.5x1mm devices is easy, shaving with a Claymore and a feather blade, is tricky!
I'd like to say that once you put your fear to one side it all becomes easier. I went in open-minded, not knowing quite how aggressive it would be and aside from a couple of very minor weepers it was all good in the hood!

Well my claymore arrive today ive got kia mild pinks and feather pro blades .
I latherd up with some arco i like the way it lathers not so keen on the smell.
Had a 2 pass shave and just one tiny weeper .Ive only got the attse2
to compare the claymore to but i think the head on the claymore is a bit narrower than the att had no trouble getting under my nose with it and thats a trouble spot for me.
I think the claymore is a bit more aggressive than the se2 and it may suit the kai blades better.
Strange but i find the kai blades tuggy for a couple of shaves in the se2 then they smooth out and are fine.
I found the feather blades smooth to start in the se2 but getting a bit tugging now thats with 5 shaves on the feather.
All in all the claymore was a good buy im happy with it ive paired it with a stainless steel bamboo handle not to heavy so it feels ok balance wise ive a big stainless handle i may try later.sammy.

I've been using the Claymore with a feather blade on-and-off over the last couple of weeks. I must admit that it gives a fantastic shave now that I've come to respect, rather than fear, it.

Back
Top Bottom