Boots for Dog Walking

Hello Chaps,

Having recently acquired this little crocodile and realising my trainers aren't really any good in the South Wales mud. I'm looking for some waterproof boot recommendations. Don't really have a preference in style but looking for something sub £75ish.

Boots would get used for some walking for a few miles along some trails.

Any suggestions?
2165c3a645ab494604eca1381190e907.jpg

Wellies are hard to beat.
Aigle are the bees knees & can be found on offer for £75ish.
Mine last 3-5 years worn daily for a 3+ mile walk, I found taking them inside they last longer. The uppers started to crack after 3 years on my first pair (UV deterioration I think) as I used to leave them outside by the back door.

I had a pair of the neoprene type (not aigle, can't remember), they were fantastically comfortable & warm, unfortunately didn't last very long, poor value IMO.

The crocodile is gorgeous! Hope he/she has a long and happy life.

The Aigle suggestion is sound. They can cost around £100, which is an awful lot for a pair of wellies - so look hard to find them at a discount (as suggested above) if you decide to go for them...they're designed on a walking boot 'last' and are probably the most comfortable welly boot you can buy. There are several styles, closures and designs - try them on before buying.

The only trouble with wellies is you might find they're not ideal if you start doing longer walks. If you find you're doing, say, five miles, then maybe proper walking boots would be more comfortable...and better for your feet!!

The number of makes and styles is bewildewring. You can buy decent waterproof walking boots for around £75 - £85 but eventually you might find yourself going for even better boots if you go down that route... they say you get what you pay for and this can be very true of walking boots...unless you bag a bargain and get a good, known make at a good price...which is very possible. Most important is to go to a proper outdoor shop to try them on. They often have knowledgeable young staff who tend to have a bit of an idea.... Sports Direct is not generally advised if you want advice - and DON'T BUY KARRIMOR BOOTS in Sports Direct unless you really know what you're looking for. In fact, to be on the safe, side avoid Sports Direct as a rule.

A reliable name in reasonably priced walking boots is Grisport.

http://www.grisport.co.uk/walking-boots-c78

The big names like Scarpa and Meindl are definitely dearer but definitely better than the cheaper ones you might find in Blacks or Milletts (although both of them do decent makes too).

Whatever you get you MUST treat them with waterproofing stuff like G Wax...even if you get fabric boots, still treat them! Trust me. Even if you get Goretex lined boots....still treat them!

You'll find lots of fabric boots and, increasingly, less full leather boots. Fabric waterproof boots with a waterproof liner (like Goretex or Sympatex) are usually comfortable straight out the box. Stiff leather boots (with or without a waterproof liner) are generally less comfortable out of the box and need breaking in...but once broken in are durable and strong.

I have a recommendation...but it's an expensive one_ Lowa Renegade Mid GTX

Both my wife and I have two or three pairs each...just in case they went out of production. Fabulous boots!!!!!!.
Waterproof and comfortable out of the box...we both love them. The only problem is my wife now needs extra wide boots due to bunion surgery - and she (and I) have each got a pair of Meindl Merans...and they are even more gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.hillanddaleoutdoors.co.uk/productDetail.php?productId=701&brand=9

You would need to shop around....AND TRY THEM ON FIRST!!!

There is another option... see here...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nokian-Foo...detail-softlines&pd_rd_r=W06YKSJFPS0HC8BGFP09

I have a, little used, pair but don't get on especially well with them - but I know a Dartmoor Guide who swears by them and walks for miles on Dartmoor in them (I only bought them on his recommendation). What size are you?? Mine are 43.

There really are lots of options (and I've tried most of them) and you'll learn by your mistakes unless you can get sorted early on.

Another name to look for in the wellie line is Buckbootz https://www.bucklerboots.com/ I have their steel toe cap version of wellie boots and they are absolutely super...but not for walking five miles in. The non steel toecap version might be more suitable for you. But you must try them first.

The neoprene suggestion above is another sound one...I have tried several different makes, including Muckboots, but didn't really settle on them but lots of people love them. See somewhere like this....

https://www.wellywarehouse.co.uk/womens-wellies/warm-wellies/shopby/muck_boots

But you need to try them somewhere before buying them....or at least have a good returns procedure.

Brasher Boots used to be one of the big, reliable names...like Karrimor used to be. But both makes have been taken over (unsurprisingly) and Brashers aren't quite the stable, reliable name they once were...but, at the right price, they're still better than Karrimor. (I don't like Karrimor)

Have a scratch of the head and look around at the options and ask more questions if need be...but, honestly, you might not get it right first time.

Last edited:
you need Alt Bergs //// trust me...you really do

Great suggestion.

Can't speak from experience but hugely well regarded.

When buying the Meindls recently the Altbergs were a possibility as the shop in Exeter is an authorised seller. I think we went for the Meindl Meran as it was going to need less breaking in and was even wider than the Altberg Fremington.

The trouble is my suggestions re. the Meindls or the Lowas - and the Altbergs - are both way above £75. I would say pay the extra and get the better boots at the outset...but it's not my money :)

Some great suggestions, Altberg are very good if you prefer a boot. Have a pair of Salomon that will probably see me out & these turn up heavily discounted from time to time.
The reason I prefer a wellie, my walk is very muddy & deeper than walking boots in places.
Definitely worth waiting & buying a decent pair, whatever.

Bloody hell, lots of suggestions cheers chaps. I always get bogged down in the research as there's just so many bloody options and differing opinions online.

The Crocodile is a Theo, he's 50% Lab, 50% Collie. So is going to need plenty of walking. I'm happy to make an investment as hopefully it will be 10-15 years of walking with the pooch.

Lots of long and joyous walks and generally happy times to Theo and his family.

If you happen to be size 43 I'll happily send you the Nokians to see if they're up your street.

Lots of long and joyous walks and generally happy times to Theo and his family.

If you happen to be size 43 I'll happily send you the Nokians to see if they're up your street.

Thank you I appreciate the comments and the offer, unfortunately I'm a 44. A long Xmas day walk and he's out flat snoring on the sofa.

Thank you I appreciate the comments and the offer, unfortunately I'm a 44. A long Xmas day walk and he's out flat snoring on the sofa.

Oh well, never mind... to be honest as you're a 44 it would be unlikely you'd get into them as there are no laces...just a strap to tighten round the leg and they would probably be too small to get on.

All the best.

So after a little bit of looking I'm thinking this pair of Grisports:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grisport-Q...ef=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

One or two things.... if you order from Amazon I believe I saw they do free returns on that boot. My Mrs. ordered Grisport Hurricanes from Amazon and because of the free returns and because of the uncertainty of getting the right size we ordered two pairs in different sizes with the intention of returning one pair having chosen the (hopefully) right pair. There was a problem though....both sizes were too small despite ordering her "normal" regular size. Some reviewers have said Grisports come up small...so maybe err on the side of ordering a bigger size than usual...and maybe order two pairs and return the ones you don't want.

Make sure there isn't somewhere near you that sells Grisports so you can try them.

Once you know you're going to keep the boots - and not return them - you absolutely must give whatever you buy a real good covering of 'G Wax' or 'Nikwax' ... and keep doing it all the time you have the boots. You can get Aqueous Nikwax that you can use with wet boots (after you've washed them) and that works well as it soaks in.

Alternatives include "Hydrophane Leather Dressing https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hydrophane-Leather-Dressing/dp/B0080N69CC ... it's a runny liquid and soaks in a treat.

I also use Woly Dubbin (Neutral colour) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Woly-Unise...g=UTF8&refRID=22Q3WWATN07GTTNSH4YY&th=1&psc=1 ... been using it for years and is great stuff. (some say dubbin rots the stitching ... I'm not an adherent of that school of thought though ... based on thirty something years experience.

Also... had you seen that the next model up from the Quatro is the 'Peaklander' and has a waterproof liner (Spotex) ?

Don't forget you'll want a decent pair of walking socks with decent walking boots. Bridgedales are the traditional name but there's millions other decent ones. Worth getting decent socks and when trying out boots in a shop take your walking socks with you (although outdoor shops always have spare walking socks to borrow when trying different boots). Proper walking socks are disproportionately expensive... others will have recommendations about what socks to use... army surplus stores will probably have some.

'1000 mile' socks are popular too ... https://www.amazon.co.uk/1000-Mile-Mens-Fusion-Sock/dp/B002T17Z7O

Good luck with all that :)

Only wellies for me, a twice daily in fairly thick mud is why I don't use walking boots.

Over the years found that the warmest most comfortable ones are Muckboots at &£50 to £80 but will only last a couple of years as the upper cover get worn out.

Next is Aigle, these will last far longer as the upper is made of proper rubber, these are not as comfortable as Muckboots.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom