Best shaves yet-Myrsol Emusion

The last two shaves have been my best yet in terms of having absolutely no irritation. (usually I have some, even if its just for half an hour).

There were two common factors in the shaves and they were use of a Vokshod blade and perhaps more relevantly my first uses of Myrsol emulsion. I used some as pre shave and also as a post shave moisturizer after using an alcohol based aftershave.

Since I have dryish skin, I tend to need to use either a balm or moisturizer after using any alcohol based aftershave (which I love the feel of in spite of its drying effect). When I used the emulsion, this seemed to do the job of a moisturizer and had a really pleasant cooling effect. Obviously only two shaves in with it, so I suppose that I should reserve judgement but the early signs are that, for me, this could be a great product.

Ive had the emulsion for a while now but I've only ever used it post shave. I like the slight menthol and it does a good job as a balm, even if the scent is a bit old fashioned and a bit feminine (reminds me of a smell from my grandparents house as a child).

Anyway, last week I had about 4 days growth and thought I'd try it as a pre-shave. Can't prove it was the emulsion, but the first pass was certainly very comfortable with no tugging. Apparently the guy that created this stuff used to use it as a shaving cream and nothing else.

Daily use for me after shaving - and like Marcus, I use it after an A/S splash. I occasionally try one of my other balms/moisturizers (Acqua di Parma, Santa Maria Novella, Nivea, Fitjar, L'Occitan, Weleda etc.) but prefer the Myresol.

There is a you tube video of a Spaniard with an obviously heavy beard but just a few days growth, using it as a shaving cream and he seems to do it with ease, although I can't understand a word he is saying.

It's marvellous stuff.
Not tried it as per shave, as an a/s balm its bordering on magical.
I have very sensitive skin & always get a faint blush on my neck
that tends to worsen when I apply a balm.
Not as severe as razor burn, but, I can tell I've shaved.
Wiith Myrsol, my neck calms right down straight away.
I like the smell, its very subtle and fades quite quickly anyhow.

I have also tried it recently as a shaving cream. So easy, very slick and lubricating and although I guess it lacks cushioning, this wasn't a problem for me. No nicks or irritation. It lacks the ceremony (I don't mean ceremony but it's late and I can't think of the word! EDIT Ritual was the word I wad looking for) of using a brush. Great to use when travelling. Pre, shave itself and AS balm, all in one.

Incidentally, I have since tried using Trumpers skin food as a pre shave and this always seems to sting a little but not in a nice way like an alc. based AS but in a way that seems to be irritating my skin. This is a shame because it's a product which I would love to like. Another example of YMMV!

Last edited:
On the Trumpers website it says that the skin food can be used as both a pre or a post shave. If memory servesme correctly, I have seen one of their barbers using it as pre on YouTube. I guess the slight sting is coming from the alcohol although it could be the rose perfume oil in the Coral one but i have no problem using alcohol based AS's

On the Trumpers website it says that the skin food can be used as both a pre or a post shave. If memory servesme correctly, I have seen one of their barbers using it as pre on YouTube. I guess the slight sting is coming from the alcohol although it could be the rose perfume oil in the Coral one but i have no problem using alcohol based AS's
Yes, I was wrong - I felt sure they were just meant to be used after shaving. When I first started straight shaving I used Coral and Sandalwood regularly but then discovered better products that are not as tacky on the skin.

Just had my first shave using Proaraso green pre shave. Much as I think that the AS is fantastic both scentwise and feel, the pre shave, for me, did not perform anywhere close to Myrsol. I have used Myrsol ever shave for the last month or so, so I wanted to try something different. I know that there are many that say pre shaves are not required if the soap/lather etc are good enough but with really strong wiry turning grey beard, the additional slickness that Myrsol gives me makes for a much closer shave.

I do my usual face prep. shower or wash face in hot water, then apply the Myrsol while the face is still slightly damp but providing you have prepped your face, I would not thought it would matter too much. I find the emulsion keeps the face moist while preparing the Lather. Then I just lather on top of it.

Out of interest you could try shaving a small area without any lather just with the Myrsol. It offers no real cushioning but the slickness means that you could shave directly over it, if you had to.

I also use it to do a final pass around my Moustache. Because it is thinner and lighter than lather, it is easier to ensure that I am not shaving the thing off or leaving myself with only one handlebar!

Back
Top Bottom