Best pre-shave

I've been using proraso pre shave (mentholated) for over a year now but fancies something else in terms of a pre shave. It doesn't have to be a cream, I was wondering what others find it be a good pre shave I'm their daily routine? I have pulled the trigger on some musgo real pre shave soap (original) as I love their shave cream, anyone tried this as yet? Any opinions?

You could also try the Proraso sensitive, it's similar but without menthol. I find I get bored with menthol every shave and it doesn't always mix well with some lather scents.

Also Murdock Avalon pre-shave oil is wonderful stuff, soaks straight into the skin with a great subtle scent. It's pretty expensive but you only need a tiny amount so it's going to last a long time.

I've been using Jaeger Hydrating cream exclusively for the past year - having tried various oils and creams before that. Ordered 3 tubes in a 3 for 2 offer last week - but can't remember from where!! If you are interested a quick scan of the vendor offers will throw it up.

I have the Proraso sensitive and there's definitely menthol in it. Less so than the "full on" version, but when it goes on it definitely cools your face somewhat. Here's the list.

Aqua (Water/Eau), Stearic Acid, Sorbitol, Glycerin, Parfum (Fragrance), Avena sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract, Camellia sinensis Leaf Extract, Thymus vulgaris (Thyme) Flower/Leaf Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Potassium Hydroxide, Menthol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Sodium Benzoate, Phenoxyethanol, Benzyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-di-t-butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Limonene, Linalool, Citral, Hexyl Cinnamal, Geraniol, Citronellol.

It's the only pre-shave that I've used recently, and I've noticed that when I used it, my skin feels different post-shave as well, even though I don't apply any post shave.

I did have go with the Castle Forbes pre-shave. It seemed to make a small difference, but it is expensive.

Ian

Nishy said:
I've been using proraso pre shave (mentholated) for over a year now but fancies something else in terms of a pre shave. It doesn't have to be a cream, I was wondering what others find it be a good pre shave I'm their daily routine? I have pulled the trigger on some musgo real pre shave soap (original) as I love their shave cream, anyone tried this as yet? Any opinions?
Have tried this, and Ach Brito, slightly cheaper. Both good, slightly bulky.A good alternative is Neutrogena Glycerin soap [usa], recently available in 99 P
shop, and Family Bargains 3 Bars for £ 1.50.

Depends what you want your pre-shave to do and for how long you want it to do it. I have several minutes between stepping out of the shower and towel drying my face before actually starting my shaving ritual. So I use an oil as soon as I've dried my face - keep the stubble soft and moist - and then apply Proraso pre-shave creamm just before starting to lather up.

Pretty much any old veg oil will do for that, so I have a big bottle of coconut oil for not a lot of money and several ridiculously expensive pre-shave oils, Murdocks being on of my favourites. I hate to say it but BlueBeard's is good and not so very expensive.

Do we need all this pre-shave stuff? No, but it's nice. A well wetted beard and a good soap/cream will do the job - but lacks pamper even if it would save cash.

Oh! best pre-shave - Swagger and Jacks of Norwich, no doubt in my mind.

One of the best pe-shaves for me would be Burt's Bees shave cream absolute crap as an independent shave cream but a great pre-shave cream, just wash face same as usual then apply an healthy amount to fingers work into whiskers then lather over with soap or cream.

Cheers for the suggestions, sorry I should have stated I have tried the proraso white (really don't like the scent and it seems sensitive stuff makes my face itch! Weird) I also have used Murdock and it's brilliant just like you say, quite pricey though. I will have a look at the vendors section and try some burt bees also. Coconut oil I find blocks my pores and give me spots but great for hair conditioning. Anyone had any experience with the musgo real pre shave soap?

You should try Myrsol Emulsion. I also used Proraso preshave, the white one, and i can say that the Myrsol is just awesome. It has glycerin and lanolin, so it really softens the beard and protects the skin. I highly recommend the Myrsol.

Village Barber has also intrigued me for some time, thank you for all the suggestions and honesty with regards to musgo can't get this back and white advice in a rush

Thank you Charlie that's a very kind gesture. I'll PM you and more than happy to pay for whatever costs you endure.
I think your PM box is full at the moment

Back
Top Bottom