asylum brush works scanlon

i received my scanlon synthetic brush today, from phil of bullgooses very generous give away.

i used it tonight and im really impressed with it. i used proraso for its first run out as its the soap im most comfortable with, it lathered wonderfully. id read on a few posts on other sites that it didnt splay that much, but its not what i found, it works great for face lathering plenty of splay and lovely and soft with enough backbone to feel it.

its only my first run out with this brush but i already feel its going to get a lot of use, a very nice brush.

My first impressions - although quickly noting I haven't yet used it in anger - is that the fibre used in the ABW Scanlon has great backbone and the tips are luxuriously soft.

The handle itself is a delight to hold and the orange resin has a wonderful hue.

Interestingly, when you take a plan view of the knot, it's hexagonal in shape - cool.

I really like the Scanlon too and am looking forward to using it.

Well they just arrived today and they look even better in the flesh

Gutted I got stung for the customs charges though not so good........

DSC00158%20Small.jpg

One Aussie reviewer said this about these brushes on another forum:

All three knots are very soft and extra stuffed with a fibre somewhere akin to a cross between Muhle and Plisson.
Appearance wise you'd be forgiven to believe the fibre as Muhle's.
However, performance and feel is more in line with the experience offered by Plisson, albeit sans the floppiness.
The Muhle provides (for me) excessive spring or resistance against the face.
The ABW brushes provide greater splay and exhibit less knot integrity compared to Muhle's fibres.
Unlike the Muhle, the brush doesn't require mashing into the face.
However, on account of the shorter loft the knot feels more robust than Plisson.

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=33886

Opinions regarding this re his comparison?

One Aussie reviewer said this about these brushes on another forum:

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=33886

Opinions regarding this re his comparison?

Late to the party, I know, but I now have a Scanlon.

I like to think of myself as an aficionado of synthetic brushes and have to say that I don't like the knot. Regarding comparisons made by the poster above, the knot is nothing like Muhle. Not even close. It's a lot like the fibre in the new(ish) Vie-Long synthetics and the hexagonal shape noticed from above might lend some weight to that thought. From the horse hair Vie-Longs that I've pulled, they have a hexagonal metal band around the base holding the fibres together in an epoxy set.

Sadly, this example has the knot set badly - there's a gap on one side and the other side has the fibres bunched up. It also leans over so the knot it clearly set wrong. When I look at all manner of pictures on the internet, I'm seeing the same issue. Poor workmanship there. Hmmm ....

Nevertheless, in use, it is springy. That's not something you tend to get any more with synthetics. Akin to the Kent synthetic in many ways. The fibres themselves glint in the light, again something which you don't tend to get any more with synthetics. It feels older tech. Also in use, there's not a lot of splay as the fibres bend over all together and flick all over the place. Tips are soft, mind.

My usual test lathers with MWF worked out fine. I think the knots actually hold water quite well, which kept feeding the lather without dumping it all in one go, something which would have let to an overly foamy lather.

With the knot rinsed through and dried, working through the fibres left off bits sticking out all over the place. Looking from above it would appear that fibres stick out oddly at the corners of the hex shape.

I adore the handle though. Love it! Absolutely love it!

I'll be pulling the knot and fitting something modern which won't look as cheap/old and won't splatter.

Phew! I finally got that nasty knot out ...

-vn4TpmhoVHLFXDV40b25fDLB65VpuBhKw7vNDuEsFYgQ89mErb5PWDMQqRvtpPtuY6xdZZF-_fYotTYEn563HVzzN8ueHZDJ_AErrD5hZoK7bdrNoVXSSheqwJjyowsDlEWFWevP080aD0XGrySfCBtWMSWsZdqgm-c1lW9_NP-yMaeOWMrlbdBK4SlSr6OaNqiXwB0-a5g11-OUj5AMeUgfHMB8mX15aE-eq22_5zemSKDYoxMHZpI6tTiOhxtyPVJ4zvNXcg1GhoDEnZRMfU3_-MpjOTKuytMRAe8O9iq7z6RWKHPx7VTpWLoniE-1iyATrNulfM9xqQyn3MmZbW2zY0wVjiBYO6e6jGd182HXsrK9sp3kUP8LnRhjtX5QHYLKceyQvFKvP_qYW6LSSdQ07pouZ83BDhLjqxhhkzyGUkJqpMZA5o-v-htR_vV8-NSQ8SDFZk_f1uH0V49h4ANzWAuF5__zGhaUrfHHoiCRJ91fs6R_38Otwqf9HpDF3_N1hK01PEza4Cndhm3Tp4gT49-AqV076SOd__CexHZmfcYJs631pot-XwYARKOPkXH97ZmDRLzsfTlsVs-q7a8ghHE2ZSvvRPJWwJTQtuzjE5cq-V0Fkc40PFLbc2ViQ5UhfkJyrzxQ3qqHRqQtaYFIZ4JUdDMgA=w1600

Mole grips and some swearing! You can see how the crimps form the hexagonal shape when viewed from above.

I've got a Cashmere on order for this handle, which I think will suit it very nicely. Quick snap, granted it's not the right knot but it gives an idea ...

jg_z7v_a-5ZYcc_JJljfhFEJVaW7G5kZJHfMosIrGizA7Gh0pQPSSmQ-Hc1zscE5gXNJdazwQ9c_oBH8cXqx1K8HkdwSPPzEP8W5dIoJ8K9tNNeeCUFpzZ8jEfpLpKyVSrlTFCcexEIXn-X8rtgwV_iq81JvTbgqwWoKHgxZWIM_srJdPEhmX1vdTEZ_9TVlUtAfZw336MCjsKMbX9PUAciqyWRtUnK99VUSsggh6PqebI4FK4WknyqB5Ao85tzRC8KuLgao-nYLwCDYlxPghR683igxbq-fs4uYFqx6xj-ES3HMJV526OUCJ557dqJU8livsI66Rd9UwV1hwpxbdcDRbTF9BHOOFd7rSrAB5283g8X63K_218Qe4jo9B6GB_cymUcfw1Rv2MBQInrtKwEVeaBbiDZfXh0fFv_1qVGntbrc64fL9ai8otsG_KFCIRAqY-VeX2JnYBd5Yj2yttGvuXmxHv6Yf21wsp3WuO9ED3ok-UxrHcwMqCn-wSnTyE3AOce4sawIr3hYipxM9yVvgUgwr_qEYXS6Cs52VTrisTp3Mb_7Y0wqjhHD9asgEUBFCLMwO6hekvK2k1ECooNvVDGiomIQbG9RGKRDkrHD0Mph76NB5AKyWrp_ECQwMjArYjQF44X1si2WlXZcIcxSJvcL5oZisnQ=w1600

I'm going for a 24mm which you can see in the Scanlon. The Cashmere will be more bulbous as per the other two, which are 26mm for comparison - a Tuxedo in a vintage Ever Ready lucite and the Maggard Granite with a Plissoft style knot.

Back
Top Bottom