Are Pure Badgers really that bad?

It seems that pure badgers get only hate and contempt everywhere. Currently my only badger is a pure. This one . Although i paid it 18 EUR. I really like it! At first i found it annoyingly prickly, but now i don't think about it and use painting strokes. I am also in disbelief on how much backbone it has.

There are many cheap chinese badgers that advertize themselves with a photo where the brush is completely splayed all the way to the knot while dry. With the Edwin Jagger i have, this is impossible. It's more like a boar. And i like that! I like boars! A brush that while dry can splay all the way, will probably be a mop once wet!

The brush i think is also very dense, it lathers easily and holds a large amount of lather, despite the 20mm knot. I 'd dare say it holds more lather than my 24mm Omega boar, with the difference, that it seems that the boar is more prone in releasing the "last" lather down in the knot. Plus, the handle is superheavy and very pretty. I don't think i will ever stop using this brush, despite the 2 Best badgers i have on order! Prickly or not! It's like a badger-boar hybrid!

Anyone else likes pure badger?

It seems that pure badgers get only hate and contempt everywhere. Currently my only badger is a pure. This one . Although i paid it 18 EUR. I really like it! At first i found it annoyingly prickly, but now i don't think about it and use painting strokes. I am also in disbelief on how much backbone it has.

There are many cheap chinese badgers that advertize themselves with a photo where the brush is completely splayed all the way to the knot while dry. With the Edwin Jagger i have, this is impossible. It's more like a boar. And i like that! I like boars! A brush that while dry can splay all the way, will probably be a mop once wet!

The brush i think is also very dense, it lathers easily and holds a large amount of lather, despite the 20mm knot. I 'd dare say it holds more lather than my 24mm Omega boar, with the difference, that it seems that the boar is more prone in releasing the "last" lather down in the knot. Plus, the handle is superheavy and very pretty. I don't think i will ever stop using this brush, despite the 2 Best badgers i have on order! Prickly or not! It's like a badger-boar hybrid!

Anyone else likes pure badger?
If I buy a badger brush I will buy a silvertip but I do love my boar brushes so I have quite a few, there is nothing wrong with a pure badger brush but if it feels like a boar why not just buy a boar and break it in?
Each to their own, buy what you like, there are no rules :)

If I buy a badger brush I will buy a silvertip but I do love my boar brushes so I have quite a few, there is nothing wrong with a pure badger brush but if it feels like a boar why not just buy a boar and break it in?
Each to their own, buy what you like, there are no rules :)

The backbone reminds a boar, but the hair is different. When bent, the badger hair responds differently to pressure. I have already 2 boars in my rotation (plus about 8-10 spare boars). The badger has boar-like backbone, but it's different. It's hard to explain. It lathers differently, holds the lather differently, bends differently. But i like the boar-like backbone.

The backbone reminds a boar, but the hair is different. When bent, the badger hair responds differently to pressure. I have already 2 boars in my rotation (plus about 8-10 spare boars). The badger has boar-like backbone, but it's different. It's hard to explain. It lathers differently, holds the lather differently, bends differently. But i like the boar-like backbone.
You may want to try a 'best' badger. Good backbone & not too expensive.

Like I said, do as your heart desires, there are no rules, no one will think less or more about you we all have our likes and dislikes but it is what make's it a truly personal thing. Something just for you, the way you like it. Shave happy :)

You may want to try a 'best' badger. Good backbone & not too expensive.

I 've already ordered this and this . We will see...

Like I said, do as your heart desires, there are no rules, no one will think less or more about you we all have our likes and dislikes but it is what make's it a truly personal thing. Something just for you, the way you like it. Shave happy :)

Will do! It's just that my biggest fear before ordering a badger, was exactly that i would get a supersoft brush that would become a mop on the face. This is why i skipped the chinese brushes and went to the Edwin Jagger, which i had verified has a short loft (it's 46mm), which should give more backbone. And it did! It was a pleasant surprise for me. My boars have softer tips, but i liked it the same and it has boarish backbone.

Things like Best or Finest or Silvertip or High Mountain White or Manchurian are all just recent marketing devices.

Here we have some Manchurian, some Silvertip, some High Mountain White and some 50+ year old "Pure Badger".
medium800.jpg

Most of my badger brushes are "Pure Badger".

I wouldn't say I love the pure badger but I use one as my travel brush and quite enjoy it, I also take along a wilkinson sword brush, I keep saying I will take one of my plusher brushes away with me but never do, I think it is to stop me spending more on brushes 5 for me is enough especially as I reckon one of them is the ONE :)

I have a Simpson Duke 2 in pure badger and like it very much. It does have a wee bit of prickle, but not enough to bother me. My favoured badgers are Simpson best, shavemac finest and shavemac/Thater/VP Leonhardy 3-band silvertips, but I find my pure badger to compliment them quite well. In fact, once I've sold a few more brushes I'll buy a shavemac pure. As concerns boar, I find my Semogue OC boar and Omega B&B Essential boar feel quite different to the Simpson pure. I should add that I prefer the Simpson pure to my Muhle silvertip fibre and Kent Silvertex.

Things like Best or Finest or Silvertip or High Mountain White or Manchurian are all just recent marketing devices.

Here we have some Manchurian, some Silvertip, some High Mountain White and some 50+ year old "Pure Badger".
medium800.jpg

Most of my badger brushes are "Pure Badger".

What a lovely photo! They look like furry animals! Maybe years back they didn't trim the tips, while now they trim them and that's why they call them pure and the others the higher grades?

Almost ALL Badger hair is sourced in China!

You are right, thank you. I meant the chinese brand brushes (Amazon has a dozen chinese brushes cheaper than EJ pure badgers and they seem bigger too).

It's confusing isn't it? I think both Kent & Mason Pearson refer to their brushes as “pure badger” despite both clearly being silvertips.

They are however, exceptions... To my knowledge the industry standard for “pure” is hair from all over the badgers body, clipped to shape. These knots are very prickly and don't hold as much water as the superior grades, but are very inexpensive.

If you're on a tight budget and bowl lather they are perfectly fine to use, not so good for face lathering due to the prickly tips. That said, from a modern perspective why would anyone use one when far superior synthetics can be had for as little as £10?

xjnvxEh.jpg

This Vintage French Fitchard So Called Pure Badger is the Softest of Brushes whilst Being a Very Dense Knot..The Quality of the Badger Hair in this Brush is as Good if Not Better than a Current Silver Tip..I Got it NOS for a Song an All..:D

Billy

The tips don't look trimmed. Maybe that's the thing. In fact, if my pure badger hadn't trimmed tips, it would be wonderful!

The tips don't look trimmed. Maybe that's the thing. In fact, if my pure badger hadn't trimmed tips, it would be wonderful!
There is a Lot of High Priced & Overpriced Crap Badgers Out there..Simpson for One..They Got Popularized in Forums & the Prices went Crazy for Years..That Said..I have Never Came Across a So Called Rough Badger Brush Yet.,Forum Talk Can Lead Folks into FALSE Expectation's..Just Like Politicians..:D:D:D

Billy

Back
Top Bottom