Any English teachers here? (ESOL SFL vs. Cambridge FCE/CAE)

I enrolled yesterday in the local college for some English courses (Level 2). Apparently, one has to take the General English course that leads to the ESOL SFL (Skill For Life), some sort of English language certification initiated by the T. Blair government few years ago. This certification is more or less the basic requirement for UK residents (since it is a UK only certification).

I was kind of hoping to prepare the Cambridge English FCE or CAE, but these are add on courses, so that you have to pay an extra 185 quids for it. Furthermore, I have no idea what certification to chose (it will depend on my level of course). The tutor during the registration/assessment process advised me to keep it in mind and after starting the General English, to talk with the teacher who would point me the right direction.

So the question is to know whether the Cambridge English FCE or CAE is really worth it, as I do not plane to immigrate in an English speaking country or to go to university, and do just need a certification stating that I can manage any every day life/working situation in English (despite mine is fairly poor...). If you are familiar with these language certifications, your thoughts or advise will be welcome!

I think that's the same skills for life one I did a few years ago. I also completed the same in maths. They give you a few mock exams, Maths being a strong point for me resulted in 100% results. The English one was an easy one too. I completed them as an add on to the Teaching Assistant course I was doing at the time. All the very best.

It was around seven to eight years ago so excuse my memory but I believe it covers, punctuation, plurals and some level of spelling.

Finally, I got my results few weeks ago, and passed the Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE). The next step is the Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE). Likely in June or July.

cae10.jpg

Back
Top Bottom