All things Hand Warmer

I know a number of us, in many cases due to the clever enabling by @riverrun have acquired a metal hand warmer for this winter season. I received mine today - w/out instructions as mine is a bit older and just came with the pouch.

Some questions:
* I don't have an original cup for measuring how much lighter fluid to pour in. Does anyone know the amount to pour in for a standard-sized Peacock one?

* What's the 'correct' way of lighting these things?
I've seen youtube video where people douse the wick with the fuel and get a foot long flame for a few seconds...and I've heard that you're only supposed to hold the flame against one of the metal burner edges.

* What lighter fluid have you used that works well?

Hoping to have this baby fired up this weekend:
dzt2dh.jpg

@Darkbulb, if the general consensus is 2x25ml, I would go to the local pharmacy and get a hold of a syringe you can get them in kids paracetamol suspension (also adds to the fact that you are not substance dependant, they will think this guys has a child who has a bit of a temp) use the syringe out of that for measurement.

The good thing also is you won't over fill and have it burning all weekend like @nolisco did on the first run ;). The syringe will allow you to fill correctly without spillage.

@Darkbulb, if the general consensus is 2x25ml, I would go to the local pharmacy and get a hold of a syringe you can get them in kids paracetamol suspension (also adds to the fact that you are not substance dependant, they will think this guys has a child who has a bit of a temp) use the syringe out of that for measurement.

The good thing also is you won't over fill and have it burning all weekend like @nolisco did on the first run ;). The syringe will allow you to fill correctly without spillage.

Splendid idea!

Splendid idea!
Forgot to add, most of the child ones are 5 - 10ml. Maybe worth asking behind the counter for a 30ml or 50ml as it will have the markings on the side. If you were using a 5ml it would 5x as long to fill than any other. Also check the nozzle as it may differ.

But worth a bash I suppose.

Had my zippo one for about 7 years and until last month it worked perfectly. Only needed a new burner so I replaced the burner with one from ebay for £5 and it works perfectly.

I prefer these to the charcoal and activation gel ones.

As mentioned above I am a bit overzealous filling mine and usually do a few long squirts of fuel, and often times I does go a full day or longer. Not noticed any bad side effects from it.

They are very good products and do the job required.

Mate, that's roasting, wait till it hits the negative Celsius

That I don't think will happen though.
As you can see below the temperature in SF is rather boringly static;
In Celcius it pretty much stays between 7 and 22 degrees throughout the year (with a few extreme weeks here and there)
2usvln8.jpg

I've been looking into these, do you worry about the carbon monoxide given off? or worry that you have something burning in your pocket?

The interesting thing is that nothing is actually burning once the warmer has been 'lit' - which I know makes very little sense but after the reaction has been triggered there's no continuous burning in the warmer.

The interesting thing is that nothing is actually burning once the warmer has been 'lit' - which I know makes very little sense but after the reaction has been triggered there's no continuous burning in the warmer.

Exactly this. Once going there is no flame. Just don't spill any fluid when refilling, it's hurts when you light it if you do that !

Back
Top Bottom