Agar scientific carbon blades

Greetings Billy

I would very strongly suggest that you do not buy those blades.

Whilst GEM/Personna/ASR/Energiser make probably in excess of twenty different SE blades both in carbon and in steel, with and without cutouts and with both Aluminium and steel spines, some double faceted and some triple, the great majority are for industrial/medical/Lab. use.

Now whilst it is possible to shave with some of them, being possible and being pleasant are two very different things. Some of these blades will result in a perfect 'babys bum' finish but the tugging with them is horrendous, actually tugging is perhaps too gentle a word outright pulling is not two extreme, to the point where your eyes fill with tears and you are unable to see your own face in the mirror! I have tried at least six different carbon and stainless industrial blades and except for one the result was always the same, bloody awful, some are worse than others. I fully accept that everybodies face is different and some folks skin is more resistant to 'tug' than others.

Now before I discuss carbon shaving quality blades, the one industrial blade that is good enough, plenty good enough to shave with is the GEM Stainless Steel PTFE/teflon coated blade stocked by Connaughts and all the Labaratory supply companies like Agar Scientific and Ted Pella and Emsidium in the USA. Sold in cartons of 100 and plastic dispensers of 10. This is the most popular used SE blade for shaving by a mile and an excellent blade.

Carbon blades that are made for shaving (other than some USA in house supermarket brands) are all prefixed with the word 'super' on the packets, they are GEM Blue Star, Treet, and PAL. Al three of these are only available in the UK by sending to the states for them either via Amazon or E-bay, the Treets are quite a bit less expensive than the Blue Stars but in my opinion much less good. I have never been able to obtain the PAL shaving quality blades.

The GEM Blue Stars work out with postage etc three times the price of the Stainless coated blades from Connaughts so you need to be very sure that you really like them, they are my favourites but it is fair to say that many folks do not like them at all and they are shorter lived then Stainless coated blades and need religiously drying and storing out of the razor and out of the bathroom, they stain after one shave and will if left damp rust in hours, so you can see that you really have to love them!

These are the shaving quality carbon blades all three brands are sold in packets of five with shelling paper wraps on each blade and in plastic dispensers of ten, they are packed 120 to a box.

DSC05271.JPG

DSC05273.JPG

31kF79V4GyL.jpg

It is also worth noting that Ted Pella and one or two USA shaving sites sell the PAL Blued SE carbon blades in boxes of 100 and loose on the shaving sites these are not the same blades as the super ones for shaving, I have tried them and they are IMHO very rough!

Regards
Dick.

Norfolkdick said:
Greetings Billy

Whilst GEM/Personna/ASR/Energiser make probably in excess of twenty different SE blades both in carbon and in steel, with and without cutouts and with both Aluminium and steel spines, some double faceted and some triple, the great majority are for industrial/medical/Lab. use.

Now whilst it is possible to shave with some of them, being possible and being pleasant are two very different things. Some of these blades will result in a perfect 'babys bum' finish but the tugging with them is horrendous, actually tugging is perhaps too gentle a word outright pulling is not two extreme, to the point where your eyes fill with tears and you are unable to see your own face in the mirror! I have tried at least six different carbon and stainless industrial blades and except for one the result was always the same, bloody awful, some are worse than others. I fully accept that everybodies face is different and some folks skin is more resistant to 'tug' than others.

Now before I discuss carbon shaving quality blades, the one industrial blade that is good enough, plenty good enough to shave with is the GEM Stainless Steel PTFE/teflon coated blade stocked by Connaughts and all the Labaratory supply companies like Agar Scientific and Ted Pella and Emsidium in the USA. Sold in cartons of 100 and plastic dispensers of 10. This is the most popular used SE blade for shaving by a mile and an excellent blade.

Carbon blades that are made for shaving (other than some USA in house supermarket brands) are all prefixed with the word 'super' on the packets, they are GEM Blue Star, Treet, and PAL. Al three of these are only available in the UK by sending to the states for them either via Amazon or E-bay, the Treets are quite a bit less expensive than the Blue Stars but in my opinion much less good. I have never been able to obtain the PAL shaving quality blades.

The GEM Blue Stars work out with postage etc three times the price of the Stainless coated blades from Connaughts so you need to be very sure that you really like them, they are my favourites but it is fair to say that many folks do not like them at all and they are shorter lived then Stainless coated blades and need religiously drying and storing out of the razor and out of the bathroom, they stain after one shave and will if left damp rust in hours, so you can see that you really have to love them!

These are the shaving quality carbon blades all three brands are sold in packets of five with shelling paper wraps on each blade and in plastic dispensers of ten, they are packed 120 to a box.

DSC05271.JPG

DSC05273.JPG

31kF79V4GyL.jpg

It is also worth noting that Ted Pella and one or two USA shaving sites sell the PAL Blued SE carbon blades in boxes of 100 and loose on the shaving sites these are not the same blades as the super ones for shaving, I have tried them and they are IMHO very rough!

Regards
Dick.
Hi Dick,
Due to start the Carbons you sent me. I purchased some Gem by Personna SE Blades,
packet says Super Stainless steel, no mention of coating.

They came in black dispenser [ 10 ], do you know if they are the same as the one`s
from Connaughts ?. Have been using them, and am up to Shave 7, with good results.

Norfolkdick said:
Greetings Billy

DSC05271.JPG

DSC05273.JPG

31kF79V4GyL.jpg

Regards
Dick.

Hi Dick,

Thank you for your guidance in these blades.

I am currently using the GEM Stainless Steel blade from Connaughts. I just find them a tad rough in a 1912 for the first couple of shaves.........I am sending away for some SE feather blades and I am going to use a spine from a GEM blade just out of curiosity and experimentation......

I am now rotating a blade from my GEM G Bar after a couple of shaves into the 1912 and this works fine for me...:angel:

Kind regards

Billy

That's an interesting one Billy. I too find the GEM S/S blades a little bit 'rough' albeit they do give an incredibly close shave.

It will be interesting to here how you get on with the Feather SEs.

Using a Feather with added spine from a Gem has been covered on here quite a few times - there's a tutorial on how to safely remove and re-attach.

The Feather SE gives a very close and comfortable shave - but does not have the lasting power of the Gem - maybe 3 shaves max.

Nico1970 said:
That's an interesting one Billy. I too find the GEM S/S blades a little bit 'rough' albeit they do give an incredibly close shave.

It will be interesting to here how you get on with the Feather SEs.

Hi Martin,

Yeah, my brother shaved with a new feather blade in his shovel head and said he got a really close really smooth shave.....He was impressed with the results !

The spines come off real easy......No problems ! Only need one ! I just slipped a used blade under one corner of the spine and hey presto ! No damage to the spine

Regards

Billy

mpf9ret said:
Norfolkdick said:
Greetings Billy

DSC05271.JPG

DSC05273.JPG

31kF79V4GyL.jpg

Regards
Dick.
Hi Dick,
Due to start the Carbons you sent me. I purchased some Gem by Personna SE Blades,
packet says Super Stainless steel, no mention of coating.

They came in black dispenser [ 10 ], do you know if they are the same as the one`s
from Connaughts ?. Have been using them, and am up to Shave 7, with good results.

The blades that Dick is referring to from Connaughts are advertised as Stainless Steel PTFE coated blades and it also says that the box.

Regards

Billy

Greetings

It is all rather confusing, for the USA market as well as the boxes of 100 from the lab supply houses the GEM Stainless PTFE blades are also marketed like this:-

51SH54KBR7L._SX425_.jpg

These are exactly the same blade that Paul at Connaught's sells in the plastic dispensers and the cartons of 100.

I think we have to remember that the manufacturers make a lot more money selling the blades to shavers in drugstores in the US in these packets then if all shavers bought them in cartons of 100 from Ted Pella's etc, this is also I expect why GEM mark on the cartons 'INDUSTRIAL' which would tend to put off the less well informed shaver!

Regards
Dick.

Dick, that is very helpful information from you. Thank You.

Like said before, the SE blade world is indeed confusing. I love the Treet Super SE blade too and have been looking for an equivalent bulk packaged replacement (Carbon blade) but there is none as far as I know. I have come to this conclusion after reading experiences of members like Dick and a few others who have used and compared the bulk packaged Carbon blades from Ted Pella.

Ted Pella has two Carbon SE blades in bulk which seem like they should be shave worthy (three faceted and rated as top quality) but they are not from the members' accounts. These two are the ones with Product # 121-1 and 121-82. Link: http://www.tedpella.com/dissect_html/blades.htm#carbon-steel
Oh and also add the Blue Carbon Pal blades from Ted Pella (Product # 121-20) to the list as a no no for shaving.

So as far as I know there is only one bulk packaged blade from Ted Pella that is shave worthy and used by many and it is not Carbon. This is the PTFE coated Stainless steel blade with Product # 121-3. The box does say "Industrial Use" but they are perfect for shaving and many love them.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom