Advice on my first quality shaving brush

After 15 plus years of electric shaving I have rediscovered the pleasure of the wet shave. In fact I would go as far to say that it's become a new hobby and I look forward to shaving.

I have managed to buy a really nice Tradere razor. I currently have a cheap brush and use shaving cream which I lather in a dish.

Going forward I would like to try soap and lather directly to my face. I want to buy a quality brush and after reading the forum the Simpson and shavematic brands seem to be highly recommended. I have a good budget as with care I see the brush as a long term friend.

Please feel free to make recommendations and send pictures or even offer brushes for sale if your collection is to large

Thanks in advance. Wik.

After 15 plus years of electric shaving I have rediscovered the pleasure of the wet shave. In fact I would go as far to say that it's become a new hobby and I look forward to shaving.

I have managed to buy a really nice Tradere razor. I currently have a cheap brush and use shaving cream which I lather in a dish.

Going forward I would like to try soap and lather directly to my face. I want to buy a quality brush and after reading the forum the Simpson and shavematic brands seem to be highly recommended. I have a good budget as with care I see the brush as a long term friend.

Please feel free to make recommendations and send pictures or even offer brushes for sale if your collection is to large

Thanks in advance. Wik.
"BLADEMONKEY TO RECEPTION PLEASE......CUSTOMER WAITING!..."

Thanks in advance. Wik.
Hello, if you have a good budget you can't go far wrong with a Shavemac although there are many good brushes out there. I'm sure you will get lots of advice regarding this subject. Good luck in your quest. :) Welcome to TSR.

Brushes are quite personal, I tend to favour quite a scubby knot (stiff, not springy).
I'm in a minority of 1 in that I don't like synthetics, I find them a bit too soft & springy, not liking the way they dump their water into the soap. Synthetics make great lather easily & use less soap, they just fall fractionally short in their lather quality for me (that lovely matt emulsion paint consistency).

With that out of the way here are my recommendations:

Badger:
Cadman finest, my best lather maker, great handle. Knot looks a bit scruffy & shed a bit at first, can't argue with the performance.
It is an ugly duckling knot that makes the best lather.

Shavemac Unique 2-band, pure luxury. Soft tips and good back bone. Pricey, worth it though. Everything about it screams quality.

Vie long epsilon 2-band 26/50, amazing knot, super fine hair. Very stiff brush, I like it, the best for hard soaps. The taller loft version would be more versatile. This one is a bit like a lotus Elise, fantastic at some things. Handle is a bit cheap looking.

Maeseto/LS
Just got one of these in 30mm fan 2-band finesr, it is brilliant, the equal of any of the above & £40-odd! A very big brush, that tears through soap at an alarming rate, but, will hold plenty enough lather for 4+ passes.

Boar:
Semogue 830, it will take a month to get broken in. Then it is marvellous & incredible value.

Semogue 1800, lovely handle ergonomics.
Perfect for face lathering with hard soaps.

Have fun choosing.
To be honest a Maseto & a semogue 830 rotated every other day (so they dry out fully)
would be a great combination.
Shavemac is a notch above all the others in quality.

For synthetic I recommend the Edwin Jagger XL 25mm silvertip fibre knot, the same as used by Muhle. It has great backbone, and is not too tightly packed, allowing air to get in and Whip up a great lather. They are hand made and the quality is top notch.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Maeseto/LS
Just got one of these in 30mm fan 2-band finesr, it is brilliant, the equal of any of the above & £40-odd! A very big brush, that tears through soap at an alarming rate, but, will hold plenty enough lather for 4+ passes.

Boar:
Semogue 830, it will take a month to get broken in. Then it is marvellous & incredible value.
Two great suggestions here.

Back
Top Bottom