Advice on digital slr's

Hello,

My wife has been using a Nikon SLR for years, having studied photography as part of her degree. She is now looking at a DSLR for her 40th birthday present.

Would you have any advice on decent makes & models? Not after a camera that is to a professional standard a good all rounder, and I would guess the budget will be up to £400.

Regards, Richard

Hello,

My wife has been using a Nikon SLR for years, having studied photography as part of her degree. She is now looking at a DSLR for her 40th birthday present.

Would you have any advice on decent makes & models? Not after a camera that is to a professional standard a good all rounder, and I would guess the budget will be up to £400.

Regards, Richard
The entry level Nikon DSLRs (D3300, D5200, D5300, D5500) have a good reputation. The sensors are also a good size, even on the lower models in the range. The 3300 is the most basic (not sure if "basic" is quite the right word for something so stuffed with technology), and then the other models start offering bells and whistles like Wi-Fi and GPS.
I'd have a look at the Nikon UK website, which is quite helpful, and allows you to specify "Entry level", "Enthusiast" etc. to narrow the range.
http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/products/category_pages/digital_cameras/category_SLR.page

Of course, when you look at prices, you need to be sure whether a lens is included, or it's "body only".

The entry level Nikon DSLRs (D3300, D5200, D5300, D5500) have a good reputation. The sensors are also a good size, even on the lower models in the range. The 3300 is the most basic (not sure if "basic" is quite the right word for something so stuffed with technology), and then the other models start offering bells and whistles like Wi-Fi and GPS.
I'd have a look at the Nikon UK website, which is quite helpful, and allows you to specify "Entry level", "Enthusiast" etc. to narrow the range.
http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/products/category_pages/digital_cameras/category_SLR.page

Of course, when you look at prices, you need to be sure whether a lens is included, or it's "body only".
Great advice on the website, many thanks. Richard.

If she has a lot of lense for her Nikon make sure you buy a compatible DSLR for them.
+1 on this.
I rather like the old pentax lenses and have a few of them, so I got a pentax.
The differences between them are pretty small.
I just looked into it and was surprised that I needed to choose between features.
I went K3.

Things like how sturdy the camera.
Weather proofing.
Adjustable screen.
Modes?
Pixels.
etc etc

When you say not professional, look what that means.
I think it generally means that there are 'scene modes' type of thing.
Whereas the more 'pro' (for want of a word) has more external buttons so you can change settings easily,
rather than hunting through the menus.
I much preferred the buttons as opposed to menus as I am constantly changing things.

Timely post. I too am on the verge of buying a DSLR. I'm going Nikon too, as my Dad as a D40 and a few lenses that I could use..
I'm undecided on either the 3300 or the 5300 and whether to buy the VR or non VR lens:confused: There is some bargains about on the non VR kit, which would allow me to buy accessories etc...

I've owned a few of the lower end dslr's from Nikon, Sony and canon, and they are all capable of fantastic results. If you already have lenses for one system, it makes a lot of sense to stick with that, but if not, I'd head off to a camera shop and get your wife to physically hold a few. The way a camera feels in the hands is one of the most important things for me - I remember one that I hated, simply because I found it uncomfortable to hold

well, it's all dependant on your other half to be honest, especially if she already has experience with SLRs she's probably the best qualified to explain what she wants out of a DSLR.

Budget wise you are just below a better then entry level, and just above entry level.

As per above, Nikon d3300 is a great little camera (I have one as well), and you'd have spare change to get her a 55-200 mm lens to go with the kit lens. Or you up it a bit and then the d5300/5500 come in range.

I'd recommend trying in the shop, then having a look on the web. HDEW does some nice deals on kit's and additional lenses:
http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/nikon-44-c.asp

But again, best person to ask what is best for her is your wife!

But again, best person to ask what is best for her is your wife!

+1. It's a brave man who strikes out boldly on his own.

I get good results on a Canon D400 (now discontinued) but the real disadvantage is the cost of genuine Canon lenses and sadly some of the newer ones are of dubious build quality.

Regards,
Chris

Lots of great nikon suggestions here and would also recommend them myself. Its been a while since I looked into the ins and outs of it but don't assume her SLR nikon lenses will work on a modern nikon dSLR - depends how old the lenses are (in which case some may not be compatible with DSLRs at all) and if you're expecting autofocus to work or not - if they are autofocus lenses! (depends again on the age of the lens and also which nikon DSLR you buy).

I'm (relatively) young so learnt photography on digital cameras, first on a friends Nikon D40, then my own D60 which I later sold for a D300s (and amassed a lot of lenses). I then started using film cameras, mainly SLRs and rangefinders but also TLRs. I love Nikon but as a wildcard suggestion I would also recommend:

Fuji XT-10 (bought directly from fuji as a refurb - there are also discount codes online for their store - PM me if you can't find them and are interested!) works out at £403 this way with the 16-50mm XC lens
I upgraded my D300s to a refurbed XT-1, which their top end model but the XT-10 and XT-1 have the same sensor and processor - for £403 you get A LOT of camera for the money. I am very very happy with my XT-1 and imagine I would have been just as happy with the XT-10.

Reason for recommending:
1. In many ways more similar to an SLR than a DSLR is (more manual controls, lots of knobs and buttons which entry level DSLRs do away with but your wife may miss if she likes that side of SLRs)
2. Amazing design
3. Smaller/lighter than most SLRs
4. Incredible build quality
5. Great image quality
6. Can use old nikon lenses using very cheap (£10) adaptors - will not autofocus but this may also be the case with a new nikon DSLR

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom