A pleasant surprise

Last week I was walking through the high-end perfume department of my local Shoppers Drug Mart (the Canadian version of Boots) casually perusing the men's section and the grossly overpriced E de T's, colognes and aftershave, when I spied on the bottom shelf bottles of British Sterling aftershave. I used this stuff in the early 1970's and it was one of my favourites for several years, but I hadn't seen it in a store for at least 30 years. I enquiried as to the price and thought I heard Can.$70.50; I must have grimaced as the shop assistant repeated the price and it was Can$17.50. I don't know if this is a good price, but I purchased a bottle nevertheless, for old times sake if nothing else. As soon as I got home I opened the bottle and splashed some on my face; the scent is as I remember it albeit about 35 years since I last used it. I've used it three times since and the memories came flooding back including where I first encountered it, which was in the Morgan's department store in downtown Montreal. I asked the shop assistant if British Sterling was regular stock, but she said she didn't know as this was the first shipment and it had only come in that morning. Regardless, I'm really chuffed with my serendipitous find.

I have British Sterling and I like it, If I am not wrong; British Sterling, English Leather and Canoe are being produced by a company named 'Dana' and in my opinion they are doing a great job at keeping these Classics alive.
I have been told that Smell can be a very powerful reminder of the past, I had the similar experience with not an Aftershave but with a Cleaning/scrubbing detergent Vim, I was going to buy a detergent to clean the shower and the sink and I was sniffing the detergents and when I smelt this Vim, it took me 37 years back straight away like a time travel and reminded me very good.

I have British Sterling and I like it, If I am not wrong; British Sterling, English Leather and Canoe are being produced by a company named 'Dana' and in my opinion they are doing a great job at keeping these Classics alive.
I have been told that Smell can be a very powerful reminder of the past, I had the similar experience with not an Aftershave but with a Cleaning/scrubbing detergent Vim, I was going to buy a detergent to clean the shower and the sink and I was sniffing the detergents and when I smelt this Vim, it took me 37 years back straight away like a time travel and reminded me very good.
I know what you mean as far as time travel is concerned I get it every Sunday when I shave using old spice shave soap and then the original old spice after shave splash, it takes me right back to my childhood and I remember my father only using old spice, I think he must have stopped using it in the late 70s but I still love it. :)

Last edited:
...If I am not wrong; British Sterling, English Leather and Canoe are being produced by a company named 'Dana' and in my opinion they are doing a great job at keeping these Classics alive...

Actually, they've ruined most of these old legends as they have been reformulated to a mere shadow of their former glory. Find a vintage bottle and you'll know upon first whiff. ;)

Actually, they've ruined most of these old legends as they have been reformulated to a mere shadow of their former glory. Find a vintage bottle and you'll know upon first whiff. ;)
I bet you are right, that's why I said they are doing a great job at keeping these old classics alive, I didn't mean that the new formula is just as good as the old one. However at least these classics are not dead and forgotton.
I have been told that there isn't much difference between the old and new English Leather, I never sniffed or even saw the Originals so I can't make a comparison.
Can you compare the New and Old versions?

Back
Top Bottom