A lament for lost convenience

I use a three piece DE razor with Feather blades. I have to slip the blade out of its plastic case, unwrap it from wax paper, and reassemble the razor round it.

In the heyday of DE razors Gillette sold blades with no wax paper that could be pushed out of the case by the thumb, hooked over a notch in the butterfly opening razor. With a single twist the razor would close and was ready for action.

I have a vintage Gillette Slim adjustable that has that notch but no convenience blades to slip in it.

I need the aggressive open comb R41, and Feather blades are the only ones that will do the job for me, but as I go through the complex process of making the razor ready I do wonder why we have lost the convenience of Gillette's later DE designs.

I suppose cartridge razors were supposed to be the answer - but they are not for me, so I am left complaining about the backward step I have to live with.

Do others share my frustration at blade loading time?

I use a three piece DE razor with Feather blades. I have to slip the blade out of its plastic case, unwrap it from wax paper, and reassemble the razor round it.

In the heyday of DE razors Gillette sold blades with no wax paper that could be pushed out of the case by the thumb, hooked over a notch in the butterfly opening razor. With a single twist the razor would close and was ready for action.

I have a vintage Gillette Slim adjustable that has that notch but no convenience blades to slip in it.

I need the aggressive open comb R41, and Feather blades are the only ones that will do the job for me, but as I go through the complex process of making the razor ready I do wonder why we have lost the convenience of Gillette's later DE designs.

I suppose cartridge razors were supposed to be the answer - but they are not for me, so I am left complaining about the backward step I have to live with.

Do others share my frustration at blade loading time?
Is the process really that complex.....and what would you do with the extra time you now use to load your razor?
I must admit I like the blade despensers you talk about, no wax on the blades and a one thumb operation but I guess it was to save money and maybe customers liked the idea that each blade was individually wrapped.
So in answer to your question, no I don't share your frustration but I understand why you may feel this way. :) P.

Is the process really that complex.....and what would you do with the extra time you now use to load your razor?
/QUOTE]

Sheer idleness on my part! Even a two piece scores over a three piece razor.

But

1. The need to unwrap the blade increases the risk of a cut to the fingers.

2. Although it may be changing, DE shaving had become an enthusiasts preserve, so the extra "ritual" might even have been seen as an advantage. The enthusiasm could be compared to renewed interest in vinyl records (LPs) - now there is a high maintenance sport!

No. Not for me. As I said it's sheer idleness!

Worst part about using a one blade razor. The booody massive glue patches left on the feather razor. Absolutely grates on me every time I use one. I suppose it's a fairly minor issue in the grand scheme of things but Jesus Christ why do they think it's acceptable?

Because I have only returned to DE Shaving in the past few years or so; unfortunately I cannot recall the good old days.

I do remember those days when I used foam straight out of an aerosol and how easy a cartridge razor was in use. Would I like those days back when I consider the extra time creating a lather etc etc etc? Not in particular thanks.

Happy to be inconvenienced

Because I have only returned to DE Shaving in the past few years or so; unfortunately I cannot recall the good old days . . .

Happy to be inconvenienced

I can remember the old days, and I guess I want my cake and I want to eat it.

The problem is in part the DE shaving is now a niche market and those who have chosen it will put up with minor inconvenience for the sake of what they judge to be a better way (which it is).

In the days when DE shaving was the majority practice, manufacturers had to work hard to gain even marginal advantage over competitors, and large manufacturing plants were given over producing just the right products.

These days DE razors are made in modest numbers in small factories using much simpler tooling - so the two and three piece razor is the easy, and for some, the only option.

And Gillette is no longer focussed DE razors and blades in convenient dispensers.

Result: those who choose DE shaving out of necessity or quirkiness must forego the maximum convenience the technology once afforded.

I feel for you too. I love the Feather blade but hate the inconvenience taking it out of its glued wrapper which is also dangerous as it sticks on to the paper and needs prying to set it free. It also leaves marks on the razor head.
A better overall blade IMHO is the Personna 74 tungsten,very difficult to find and also a lot more expensive. It outlasts the feather by a good bit though, bringing the outrageous cost down.

My white beard might as well be made of copper wire. With an R41 I get two shaves out of a Feather. A few years ago I would get four when I used Feathers with Merkur Slant. Mind you, now I am retired I can get away with shaving every two or three days, so it amounts to the same blade usage.

Some years ago my preference would be for a Slant with the so called "Gillette Swedes", sadly no longer available, at least in UK. Those Swedes were both sharp and smooth and did come in the Gillette dispenser which I could have used with my notched, TTO Gillette Slim Adjustable - wind that up to 9 and it's nearly as good as an R41.

Feelings? Well I ain't crying buckets, but I did think I had a topic that might generate an interesting conversation, which is what this forum is for.

Back
Top Bottom