A Great Soap.....That Never Was

Having a few spare pucks of circa. 1920 -1930 Colgate Barber tallow shave soap in storage I decided to experiment. Firstly, this is simply incredible "old school" shave soap that has it all in spades. It is however totally w/o scent apart from a faint tallow smell. Following the instructions Cristobal supplied in the Monsavon thread from Pere Lucien I whittled a puck down into tiny shavings in no time as it was drier than a popcorn fart after all these decades. I left out adding any oil and only added about 2 ml of glycerin and 1 ml of Sandalwood essential oil and kneaded it all together for several minutes and then pressed it into a bowl last night.

This morning I used it and the performance was enough to make Fergiebilly apply for a visa. ;) :D. I maybe should have added another ml of the essential oil as although it smells beautiful I have a Stirling Sandalwood sample for comparison and my "homemade" soap smells exactly like it, except a bit fainter.

In conclusion, is it better than today's soaps? Were cows somehow smarter in the old days and had better tallow? No. However, it sure is a great way to liven up an old plain Jane smelling tallow soap puck and make it more enjoyable to use. ;)

Having a few spare pucks of circa. 1920 -1930 Colgate Barber tallow shave soap in storage I decided to experiment. Firstly, this is simply incredible "old school" shave soap that has it all in spades. It is however totally w/o scent apart from a faint tallow smell. Following the instructions Cristobal supplied in the Monsavon thread from Pere Lucien I whittled a puck down into tiny shavings in no time as it was drier than a popcorn fart after all these decades. I left out adding any oil and only added about 2 ml of glycerin and 1 ml of Sandalwood essential oil and kneaded it all together for several minutes and then pressed it into a bowl last night.

This morning I used it and the performance was enough to make Fergiebilly apply for a visa. ;) :D. I maybe should have added another ml of the essential oil as although it smells beautiful I have a Stirling Sandalwood sample for comparison and my "homemade" soap smells exactly like it, except a bit fainter.

In conclusion, is it better than today's soaps? Were cows somehow smarter in the old days and had better tallow? No. However, it sure is a great way to liven up an old plain Jane smelling tallow soap puck and make it more enjoyable to use. ;)
Good on you.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Dehydrated Gibbs circa 1950s. Maybe the best soap I've ever used!
nMRVEaY.png

fYdFV5J.jpg

Kg5Hy7g.jpg

Back
Top Bottom