99p Butterfly Can Opener from PC World

Well it is the silly season.

I went looking online for an old fashioned butterfly can opener which will crack tins more sophisticated modern openers fail.

I found one on eBay for 99p and bought two.

They were supplied by Currys -PC World.

How odd!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112497778455

Nothing wrong with the product - it's another example of how older technology can beat the new, as DE razors beat cartridge razors.

Likewise, me and the OH have a Jamie Oliver brand garlic crusher (other brands obviously available...), and though we made a fuss about price initially it's lasted far longer than any others we've had, as well as doing a better job.

Also, @chris.hale, you've reminded me I need a new can opener. Mine is, in a word, sh*t.

Before coming here, to me, tin openers and bottle openers were tools belonging to the early nineties...

I felt like Marty McFly trying to open his Pepsi bottle at first.

In France, most of the cans/tins use this system:

%C2%A9-Monika-Wisniewska-Fotolia_ouverturecanette-300x200.jpg

This is the case here in UK as well, but it depends at what price-point you're purchasing goods. If you're going as budget as can be, which I often do, then don't have ring-pulls or pull-tabs or whatever else they're called! :D

OK
That said, I bought a tin of vegetables produced in France at Morrissons (this isn't a budget brand), but it still needs a can opener. On the other hand, I bought a cheap can of baked bean from Aldi that use the current system...

Is it the same for bottles?
I bought an IPA (Punk something) beer bottle and it needs a bottle opener.

OK
That said, I bought a tin of vegetables produced in France at Morrissons (this isn't a budget brand), but it still needs a can opener. On the other hand, I bought a cheap can of baked bean from Aldi that use the current system...

Is it the same for bottles?
I bought an IPA (Punk something) beer bottle and it needs a bottle opener.
Quite a lot of the bottles here need bottle openers. We certainly haven't adopted the twist-cap systems like you tend to see in America and suchlike! On the other hand, supermarket wines are veering towards screw top lids over corks! Fortunately, I've had some decent exposure to wines over the years (my grandfather is quite fond of his wine and both myself and my younger brother briefly worked in a wine merchants) so I'd rather get what they stock than what the supermarket tends to have!

Quite a lot of the bottles here need bottle openers. We certainly haven't adopted the twist-cap systems like you tend to see in America and suchlike! On the other hand, supermarket wines are veering towards screw top lids over corks! Fortunately, I've had some decent exposure to wines over the years (my grandfather is quite fond of his wine and both myself and my younger brother briefly worked in a wine merchants) so I'd rather get what they stock than what the supermarket tends to have!

I've seen real cork only in expensive bottles, when not screw top lid, I've seen some kind a synthetic cork (avoiding the risk of corking the wine I imagine) in French imports. Whereas white British wines are quite descent, the red ones are :confused: (but it's just my personal feeling and I'm not a big wine drinker).
Nevertheless, I tend to think that Britain is definitely a beer country (artisan/microbreweries).

Do you this citation of John Lennon:
French rock is like British wine.

:D:D:D

Likewise, me and the OH have a Jamie Oliver brand garlic crusher (other brands obviously available...), and though we made a fuss about price initially it's lasted far longer than any others we've had, as well as doing a better job.

Also, @chris.hale, you've reminded me I need a new can opener. Mine is, in a word, sh*t.
You have just reminded me I need a new garlic press after one of the handles snapped mid press!, it was over ten years old so I can't complain too much. :)

Back
Top Bottom