30 July 1966 - England's greatest day.

Was on my way to Wembley in a car draped with Union flags. Can remember very little of the day. I was behind the goal where West Germany equalised late on. After the final whistle I simply couldn't stop crying. Joy took over when Bobby Moore lifted the cup. I'd lost my voice by then.

I remember well the warm glow in the newsagents the next day when I bought a few papers I still have. My original ticket, programme and rosette will go on to my grandson and still get looked at from time to time.

Only just been forgiven for saying it was the happiest day of my life to a group of friends at a party a few years later.

But it was!

Ahhh Stacy don't pop Peter's baloon, he's probably the only person you know who actually went to this historic event. It is though an utter indictment of the English FA that it still has to be celebrated.

It's not revisited as much as it used to be. In the 80s & 90s we used to take bets on how much time would pass before it was mentioned in any football setting involving England.

Ahhh Stacy don't pop Peter's baloon, he's probably the only person you know who actually went to this historic event. It is though an utter indictment of the English FA that it still has to be celebrated.
I can never, and would never wish to take the experience and elation of that day away from Pete or anyone else that was actually there, I have nothing but envy for all involved.

But for everyone else......just a big trophy in an otherwise empty cabinet, time to move on.

And absolutely no mention of Jim Baxter doing keepie ups down the English wing in 1967. Lol.

I wish I'd thought to say that ! I once shared a hospital room with a guy who had been at that game. After the game, walking pished through Belgravia, a fairly posh doctor said to them:

"Chaps, chaps. How did you lot get on against the World Cup winners?"

"Och, no bad. England won"

"Cracking !"

"Aye, then Scotland got won, then another won, then a third won. England two, Scotland won" :)

I yawn loudly, every time this gets revisited.

Roll on the September and the start of the Paralympic Games, real sporting achievements.

Let's not forget when we won the World Cup we only beat "half"of Germany anyway......

It was the "good" half at least.
We beat less than half of Germany in World War Two, the Russians pulled out a stunning win in overtime.

What's sad is reading some of these remarks.

But I'm still smiling today as I look at some of those 50 year old papers I kept.
Very good documentary on ITV last night about the day.....I found it interesting to hear from people who played their roles on the day. Like the teenagers who were operating the score board, or the policeman who switch the trophy for a copy :eek:

I dont follow footie, however i am patriotic, did we win didnt we win, who carea we raised the cup and if we dont remember that game then lets look forward to maybe winning another. Dont think itll be in my lifetime, but i can only hope. Good luck to ya fido you keep them memorys warm and cuddly

What's sad is reading some of these remarks.

But I'm still smiling today as I look at some of those 50 year old papers I kept.

+1

Folk like being contrary - it's "cool", and... ahem... "evolved" (^_-). Embroidered pillows with the words "If you can't say anything nice, say it anyway". There was a lot of nice comment & memories on other forums.

I didn't mean to give any offence (and who the hell am I anyway? :) ), but my natural Scottishness overwhelmed me. It's an amazing day to have been a part of, I'm quite jealous (no comparable Scottish achievements). The fact that you've still got the tickets & papers is astounding. Even better, you're going to pass them on. :)

+1

Folk like being contrary - it's "cool", and... ahem... "evolved" (^_-). Embroidered pillows with the words "If you can't say anything nice, say it anyway". There was a lot of nice comment & memories on other forums.

I didn't mean to give any offence (and who the hell am I anyway? :) ), but my natural Scottishness overwhelmed me. It's an amazing day to have been a part of, I'm quite jealous (no comparable Scottish achievements). The fact that you've still got the tickets & papers is astounding. Even better, you're going to pass them on. :)
Closest the Scots get to winning a world cup is Glasgow celtic winning the European cup. First British team to do so. Even though it pains me to say that. (Glasgow Rangers fan) not quite in the same league as the English world cup win tho.

Well at least the Scots have this memory:

15 April 1967
England
23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png
2–3
23px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png
Scotland

J. Charlton
13px-Soccerball_shade.svg.png
84'
Hurst
88' Law
27'
Lennox
78'
McCalliog
87'
Wembley Stadium, London
Attendance: 99,063
Referee: Gerhard Schulenburg
(West Germany)

It was the ref's fault.

Some interesting comments - it's fair enough that our Fido looks back with fondness on what must have been a great day to be English. We also have to remember some of the context - it was only 21 years after the end of the war, which would have added a certain something to the atmosphere I should think.
However it is a somewhat damning indictment on post - 66 teams that we are still looking back to that match. I still find it astonishing that we seem incapable of recognising our fundamental failing - we are not good enough. Players, management, back room staff - the lot. There are always excuses and reasons, but never an ability to admit the truth. We are too happy to sit back and wallow in the Premier League's repeated assertion that the EPL is the "Best League in the World". No it is not.

Back
Top Bottom