1 Month in to DE Shaving - 2 Things Which Have Transformed My Shave

Tomorrow will be 1 month since I moved from a lifetime of cartridges to a DE razor (and also a month since my embarrassing thread 'First Time Out - Won't Cut'! https://theshavingroom.co.uk/community/index.php?threads/first-time-out-wont-cut.48001/).

I'm getting good shaves now with rare occurrences of blood-letting and there were 2 things which made a huge difference to my shave and thought I'd share them:

The first thing was razor angle. I'd watched a lot of youtube shavers and they seemed to be holding the razor so the handle was largely pointing towards the floor, and copying this (in my approximation) I was trying to shave with far too high a blade angle (too 'low' a handle), therefore not cutting effectively and dragging the edge of the blade across my face rather than slicing. Raising the handle up was my first revelation. Seems obvious, but it wasn't at first.

The second thing is using more water to build lather. Lather consistency is difficult to learn, because what reference do you have? You can build a thick looking lather that looks like it'd be fine, and indeed does allow you to shave very well, but as time has progressed I've experimented with varying amounts of water and find that rather than relying on the water held by the brush, I'll add a few drops more a couple of times while I bowl lather, way beyond what I would ever have considered at first, and ultimately the lather will take on a shiny appearance and it is this which has given me access to truly enjoyable, close shaves.

I'm also trying to moderate the amount of cream I put in the bowl to build the lather. At first a tiny amount just didn't seem enough, but even a good fingertip's worth is probably 3 times what you need (3 pass shave, plus enough lather for another 10 passes thrown down the sink at the end). The amount of cream obviously needs balancing with the amount of water you're using to build the lather, so all in all I think I'm adding a LOT more water to the cream than originally. This has been something I had to work out for myself, but I think is important.

Another good piece of advice, which carried over from my obsession with fragrances some years ago, is never buy anything other than a basic budget product without sampling it first somehow. You will waste so much money buying based on reviews or other people's comments. Definitely start out with something basic to get you going and then seek out products in some way you can get a sampler to try or at least smell them in a store somewhere. Alternatively pick up the software being flipped in the BSTs because at least you're likely to get your money back if/when you don't like them.

Overall I know now I will never go back to cartridges. I've managed to keep my spending kind-of under control (I have 2 razors, 2 brushes, 300 blades, 3 tubs and 2 tubes of shaving cream, 1 after shave and 3 balms, alum block, styptic matches, and a cheap pre-shave oil from Sainsburys which I've stopped using), and know this is already a stupid amount, but has not been a substantial investment at all for what is part necessity and part hobby, and I don't have to think to buy the monthly can of goo or order more cartridges ever again. I should be good for 3 years with what I've got now - though of course it's easy to be swayed when the enjoyment factor is high. I'm always looking to be tempted, but only window shopping.

I'm very glad I tried DE shaving. I'd been seeing plenty of people talking about it on other forums I'm a member of and always passed it over as faff until one day for no real reason I thought I had to try it. Everyone should.

Thanks for sharing Buddha. Reading through the posts on here has been an enormous help to me, so any pointers are taken on board. Beard mapping has been my biggest face saver as the direction of the passes under my chin varies from shavers on YouTube. Letting the weight of the head do the work is the other irritation remover. 2 things I never bothered about with cartridges.

Thanks for sharing Buddha. Reading through the posts on here has been an enormous help to me, so any pointers are taken on board. Beard mapping has been my biggest face saver as the direction of the passes under my chin varies from shavers on YouTube. Letting the weight of the head do the work is the other irritation remover. 2 things I never bothered about with cartridges.

Yes it's hard to get out of the habit of 'pressing on' with the razor for sure. I think this is why as a beginner you should definitely go for a middle-of-the-road sharpness blade at most. I've found Personna Lab Blue to be the best blade for comfort for me - forgiving in the extreme, but can easily give a good close shave.

Beard mapping is important but was really easy for me, all of my hair points south strangely (many people seem to have neck hair that grows upwards), so this was confusing for me at first as I thought maybe I'd been wrong all these years. Of course with a cartridge I never worried about such things and went ATG straight off the bat mostly!

The chin is an area I found needs a lot of practice - very difficult to get this truly smooth without quite a few cuts at first.

Another good piece of advice, which carried over from my obsession with fragrances some years ago, is never buy anything other than a basic budget product without sampling it first somehow. You will waste so much money buying based on reviews or other people's comments. Definitely start out with something basic to get you going

"The most expensive soap in your collection is the one you don't use"....

I liked this phrase when I saw it in a post. And it made me think what a waste it was getting Cella and Tabac just because everyone said they were the right "starter" choices. I also got Proraso Red for the same reason, and while it isn't a first choice, it's usable.

So I would have been much better off with some artisan soaps with good reviews. Yes, it's a bit hit and miss but you do get the chance to see what a complex fragrance is like. MWF was well reviewed, and sure enough it's great. So I've put a little money into a SV soap and a couple of Grooming Dept. soaps I'm waiting for. I'm pretty sure they will be worth it - I'll know soon anyway!

So my take on this is to start with two or three artisan soaps, not the commercial "starter" ones everyone recommends.

Sounds as though you're progressing well. Your comment regarding blade angle is familiar to me as I often wonder how Youtube shavers manage to obtain such impressive shaves when the edge of the blade is touching their skin at something like a 70 degree angle, with the handle near-vertical! My approach is to have the blade-skin angle as shallow as possible while still touching the skin, as this enables the blade to cut the hair off with the miminum of pulling and without scraping the skin. As a consequence, I usually have the razor handle closer to horizontal than vertical, or at the very least on a diagonal between those two extremes.

Great post. :) I favour shallow blade angle and sloppy lather myself, I find that what I really want from lather is glide not cushion, so my lather never looks like the stuff you see in the glamour shots.

I like some cushion, but I definitely think the lather you often see in videos is too dense and dry. When bowl-lathering, I notice a change in the sound and an increase in volume of lather. Finally, the appearance of the surface of the lather confirms that it's suitable - there should be a pearlescent sheen. When I face-lather, the increase in volume again helps, but I also use a reduction in drag as I work the lather onto my face as an indicator that I've got enough moisture into the lather.

I like some cushion, but I definitely think the lather you often see in videos is too dense and dry. When bowl-lathering, I notice a change in the sound and an increase in volume of lather. Finally, the appearance of the surface of the lather confirms that it's suitable - there should be a pearlescent sheen. When I face-lather, the increase in volume again helps, but I also use a reduction in drag as I work the lather onto my face as an indicator that I've got enough moisture into the lather.

These are the subtleties that as a new user nobody mentions. Nothing like this gets talked about in the 'how to DE shave' videos on youtube or even lathering videos.

Sounds like you've seriously analysed this - very impressive.

These are the subtleties that as a new user nobody mentions. Nothing like this gets talked about in the 'how to DE shave' videos on youtube or even lathering videos.

Sounds like you've seriously analysed this - very impressive.
Blame the fact that I trained in biology/biomedical science! I think I'm quite an analytical type of person anyway, TBQH.

Back
Top Bottom