“B.O.B.Y.B.: Bog Oak Birth Year Brush”

Hello Gentleman and Ladies

I recently posted a thread looking for artisan brush makers in UK. As a result I made contact with user "Rowlers".

This is a picture history of the making of a very special brush. I will post pictures of the work-in-progress as I receive them.

About the project:
I am a Canadian, but I was born in Yorkshire back in 1943. Because Gillette did not make civilian razors during the war years, I cannot get a “birth year razor”. My goal now is to get a “birth year brush”.

I posted the thread here, and in another forum, seeking the names of artisan brush makers in the UK. I was already aware of Mr. Rod Neep of “Pens of the Forest”, but it seems he's not doing brushes right now. I spoke with two others: Mervyn Cadman of badgerandbowl.com, and Lee Rowlers (who's Dad makes brushes as a hobby). I have decided to go with Mr. Rowlers.

The brush I have in mind has certain criteria:
  • First, it is to be “made-in-England” – as I was.
  • Second, it should be made of wood that is native to the British Isles.
  • Third, it will have two coins included. A “lucky sixpence” from my birth year (1943) tucked safely away under the knot, and a shiny Florin (also 1943) embedded at the base of the handle.
  • (PS: For non-British readers, a Florin is worth 2 Shillings. The two coins together add up to “Two and six”, a.k.a. a “Half Crown”)
  • Fourth, it will have a “vintage barbershop” appearance.

To be continued …

I sent a list of several types of English woods, in order of preference. My first choice was “Bog Oak”.

Thousands of years ago, England, Ireland, and many other parts of the world were forested with massive stands of ancient trees. In England, these were mostly Oak (Quercus robur). At some point the land became flooded and became swampy peat bogs, the trees died and fell into the bog. The decaying vegetation in the swamp cut off the oxygen so the wood did not rot. Instead it soaked in the tannins and other chemicals in the acidic water. This turns the colour from Oak's normal light browns to dark brown or even black:

Morta_color_based_on_age.jpg

Consider that the pyramids in Egypt are less than 4600 year old. Imagine being able to show off your shaving brush and declare “this brush is as old as the pyramids!”

To be continued …

Hello Gentleman and Ladies

I recently posted a thread looking for artisan brush makers in UK. As a result I made contact with user "Rowlers".

This is a picture history of the making of a very special brush. I will post pictures of the work-in-progress as I receive them.

About the project:
I am a Canadian, but I was born in Yorkshire back in 1943. Because Gillette did not make civilian razors during the war years, I cannot get a “birth year razor”. My goal now is to get a “birth year brush”.

I posted the thread here, and in another forum, seeking the names of artisan brush makers in the UK. I was already aware of Mr. Rod Neep of “Pens of the Forest”, but it seems he's not doing brushes right now. I spoke with two others: Mervyn Cadman of badgerandbowl.com, and Lee Rowlers (who's Dad makes brushes as a hobby). I have decided to go with Mr. Rowlers.

The brush I have in mind has certain criteria:
  • First, it is to be “made-in-England” – as I was.
  • Second, it should be made of wood that is native to the British Isles.
  • Third, it will have two coins included. A “lucky sixpence” from my birth year (1943) tucked safely away under the knot, and a shiny Florin (also 1943) embedded at the base of the handle.
  • (PS: For non-British readers, a Florin is worth 2 Shillings. The two coins together add up to “Two and six”, a.k.a. a “Half Crown”)
  • Fourth, it will have a “vintage barbershop” appearance.

To be continued …
I won't be able to sleep now,...I've a feeling that this might rival "Game of Thrones",....(cough)

… We now return to our regular programming …

Rowlers' Dad has turned a couple of “dummy” versions using wood he had on hand. The purpose was to narrow down the design of the brush.

Here's the two to give you an idea what we're going for:

First draft:
First Draft of BOBYB.jpg

And here's the second (in spalted beechwood):

Second Draft of BOBYB -- Spalted Beech.jpg

… We now return to our regular programming …

Rowlers' Dad has turned a couple of “dummy” versions using wood he had on hand. The purpose was to narrow down the design of the brush.

Here's the two to give you an idea what we're going for:

First draft:
View attachment 29236

And here's the second (in spalted beechwood):

View attachment 29237
Perfect!

… We now return to our continuing story …

The sixpence is now in hand:

View attachment 29263 View attachment 29264

As is the Bog Oak:

View attachment 29265

I've asked Rowlers for the dimensions, and I'll let you know when I hear back.

The knot has been ordered, from The Golden Nib.

It's a High Mountain White. Measurements: Base of knot is 26mm, the hair tuft above the plug is 29mm, loft is 67mm. We'll play with the final loft once we get it.

Let's try that again. This time with the pictures (I hope):

Sixpence.jpg

As is the Bog Oak:

Bog Oak on arrival.jpg

It's a High Mountain White. Measurements: Base of knot is 26mm, the hair tuft above the plug is 29mm, loft is 67mm. We'll play with the final loft once we get it.

There will be a delay while we wait for the knot to arrive.

In the meantime, please recall that the Bog Oak we bought is dated between 3500 and 4500 years old. So, for your online entertainment, I asked my friend, Mr. Google, what happened between 1500 and 2500 BC?

He gave a bunch of answers, many of which contradicted other answers. Here's a summary of some of the interesting ones, whether they're right or wrong:

• c. 1500 BC, people in China invented writing
  • c. 1500 BC – The Celts arrive in Britain
  • c. 1600 BC – 2100 BC: Middle and late bronze age
  • c. 1500 BC to 2750 BC: Stonehenge is built.
  • c. 1800 BC: alphabetic writing emerges
  • c. 1877 BC: Sodom and Gomorrah destroyed as per the Bible
  • c. First Copper (~2500 BC) and then Bronze (~2000 BC) and other types of metallurgy are introduced to Ireland
  • 2500 BC: The mammoth goes extinct.
Can any of you identify major event between 1500BC and 2500BC, when this Oak tree lived?

To be continued ...

Let's try that again. This time with the pictures (I hope):

View attachment 29267

As is the Bog Oak:

View attachment 29268

How much does a peice of bog oak like that cost? I would love something that old made into a brush handle, the age of it is mind blowing! :)

Back
Top Bottom