SOTD: Saturday 14th July - Friday 20th July 2018.

Cold Water Head Shave

180715_SOTD.jpg

Mshy6ZHe_o.jpeg

Yaqi Mysterious Space
Rockwell 6S
Supermax Blue Diamond Platinum (1)
TTFFC Let It GO
Nivea 2 Phase & Floid Mentolado Vigoroso

A late shave today after a morning and afternoon in the garden, nice and refreshing with a good amount of menthol. Tried setting 1 for a change, a wee bit mild for my tastes 2-4 seem to be my sweet spot.

Lida Glycerine Soap
Grapeseed Shaving Oil with additional EO's
Mondial Antica Barberia Original Citrus shaving soap
Plissoft Brush
Schick Type L with Japanese Schick Injector II blade/Gillette Mach3
Alum
Witch Hazel lotion
Proraso
Rosewater
L'Occitane Citrus Verbena EDT

Last edited:
Sotd - yesterday - Saturday 14/07/18

Razor - Gem MicroMatic Open Comb brass
blade - ER Corrux (1)
brush - Yaqi High Mountain White 24mm
soap - Vreto Cigars & Cognac
post - witch hazel
a/s - Williams Aqua Velva
balm - Floid
scent - Creed Bois de Portugal parfum.

Result - just lovely.

There has been a lot of ER/Gem love about here in the last week or so - it seemed churlish not to join in - I hadn't picked up this razor for a while - no idea why. It is faultless - gorgeous to look at - heavy in the hand - perfectly balanced and beautifully engineered. When you have mounted the blade and you screw the lid down - it closes over and at the last gasp the top plate retracts a couple of millimeters to optimum position. Sweet. I have found - with this type of razor - the ones I own or have used - a progression of assertiveness - I prefer to not use the description aggressive - it just puts people off for no readily apparent reason - starting off with the American 1912 - thence to the British version - next the MM Open comb - finally the Streamline - the last station before the terminus at Cobra Junction - where you change trains. The brass MMOC gives me an incredibly close shave - over 24 hours later I am still visually clean shaven. I do - always pay attention when using it - this is no Schick O Type - that you can gaily toss around your face without thinking. @Palmolive fox - you should put the MMOC on your shopping list. The Yaqi High Mountain White just gets better and better - face lathering with a cloud on a stick - have me lowered nose first into a wall of the softest badger I have yet experienced. Nice big chunky handle - there is nothing I could fault this brush on - not lost a single hair in use. Astonishingly good value for money. So job done - enjoy yours one and all - yours - I.

Oh - careful what you wish for. I remember bitching about the heat quite a lot recently - tonight the weather broke in Glasgow - it was pissing down. Warm rain granted - but still hootering down none the less. I was on my way to meet my other half for cocktails and walked through the park - the smell was incredible - parched soil and vegetation getting wet for the first time in weeks - it was intoxicating - I don't know how to desribe it adequately - earthy - fecund - organic - the smell of soil underneath your finger nails when you were a kid? Do you get shaving soap that is similarly scented? The only thing I could think of was Barrister and Mann - Roam. Not that I have used it - just going on the description of it. Either way - I will enjoy the change in the weather - shortly I will be in Malaga - where it was 40 in the shade today. Fear not - I know how to deal with this sort of situation - keep your fluid levels up with ice cold beer.

Sunday 15th July

YaqI 24mm Tuxedo Marble Handle
Palmolive Stick
Rockwell 6C plate 3
Astra SP (3)
Witch Hazel
Blue Stratos ASL

Simple set up to finish a long day travelling home to the East Midlands after visiting family in West London and Essex.

If Palmolive had more of a scent I would definitely use it more. It's got everything else going for it.
Astra blades, I find are good for three good uses before being binned.
Blue Stratos to finish and I feel refreshed.

blade - ER Corrux (1)
post - witch hazel
balm - Floid

Result - just lovely.

There has been a lot of ER/Gem love about here in the last week or so - it seemed churlish not to join in - I hadn't picked up this razor for a while - no idea why. It is faultless - gorgeous to look at - heavy in the hand - perfectly balanced and beautifully engineered. When you have mounted the blade and you screw the lid down - it closes over and at the last gasp the top plate retracts a couple of millimeters to optimum position. Sweet. I have found - with this type of razor - the ones I own or have used - a progression of assertiveness - I prefer to not use the description aggressive - it just puts people off for no readily apparent reason - starting off with the American 1912 - thence to the British version - next the MM Open comb - finally the Streamline - the last station before the terminus at Cobra Junction - where you change trains. The brass MMOC gives me an incredibly close shave - over 24 hours later I am still visually clean shaven. I do - always pay attention when using it - this is no Schick O Type - that you can gaily toss around your face without thinking. @Palmolive fox - you should put the MMOC on your shopping list. The Yaqi High Mountain White just gets better and better - face lathering with a cloud on a stick - have me lowered nose first into a wall of the softest badger I have yet experienced. Nice big chunky handle - there is nothing I could fault this brush on - not lost a single hair in use. Astonishingly good value for money. So job done - enjoy yours one and all - yours - I.

Oh - careful what you wish for. I remember bitching about the heat quite a lot recently - tonight the weather broke in Glasgow - it was pissing down. Warm rain granted - but still hootering down none the less. I was on my way to meet my other half for cocktails and walked through the park - the smell was incredible - parched soil and vegetation getting wet for the first time in weeks - it was intoxicating - I don't know how to desribe it adequately - earthy - fecund - organic - the smell of soil underneath your finger nails when you were a kid? Do you get shaving soap that is similarly scented? The only thing I could think of was Barrister and Mann - Roam. Not that I have used it - just going on the description of it. Either way - I will enjoy the change in the weather - shortly I will be in Malaga - where it was 40 in the shade today. Fear not - I know how to deal with this sort of situation - keep your fluid levels up with ice cold beer.
Greetings, Iain.
B&M's Petrichor has been described as very earthy, along the lines you describe. Others that spring to mind are Chiseled Face Summer Storm and L&L Grooming After The Rain.
Cheers, T.

Bay Rum shave today - nanny's hard-soap mixed with bay rum EO, bay rum aftershave, bay rum oil as moisturiser, guard, semogue brush.

phenomenal shave - this soap creates such a thick lather it's wonderful. i know there are a lot of great soaps out there but if you haven't tried nanny's hard soap you are missing out. it lasts forever as well :)

Sun 15th July
RazoRock Plissoft 22mm
Speick Classic Cream
Schick Type F
Schick S/S Single - Japan [ 13 ]
Tuff Red A/S Lotion

With plenty of time for a nice leisurely Sunday Shave I again chose the Type F. The Razor choice was not a mistake, but not changing the blade was. I completed the Shave without mishap, but as the blade was past its best the quality of the finished Shave was sub par.

IMG_0161.jpg

Last edited:

blade - ER Corrux (1)
post - witch hazel
balm - Floid

Result - just lovely.

Thanks for the tag. I shall consider adding a MMOC to my SE razor collection in the near future,at the moment though, i'm getting sheer enjoyment out of my ER 1912 (USA),1914 (Brass) and soon to be added a 1912(British) bought for me yesterday by a mate ,at my local car boot sale for £4.00.
Enjoy Malaga, and the much needed rain to un-parch Glasgow , it'll cool things down to a more acceptable heat. Regards. B

Last edited:
image.jpg

~SOTD~

Prep ~ Shower, Valbora Glicerlanolina soap
Razor ~ Ever-Ready 1912 Sun Ray
Soap ~ Speick Stick
Blade ~ Ever-Ready Corrux Stropping blade
Brush ~ Cadman- Bell handle Silvertip
Post ~ Vitos tobacco aftershave
Scent ~ Aqua Classica La Colonia- Borsari, Parma

A good clean shave, the ER 1912 works perfectly with this blade, the Speick soap stick lathered up nicley with the aid of my Cadman Silvertip, the result was a smooth BBS finnish. A splash of Vitos aftershave and a good aplication of Aqua Classica, just perfect for this hot sticky weather we've been having.

Have a nice day People.......P.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 5

blade - ER Corrux (1)
post - witch hazel
balm - Floid

Result - just lovely.

I love that earthy smell after the rain on soil or grassland, it's very hard for me to discribe it but it's wonderful. Enjoy your trip to Malaga. :) P.

Back
Top Bottom