Uploading pictures

What is the new size limit for photos please? It used to be 1MB and I used a photo compressor app to get the photos just below this size. Just tried to upload pic to SOTD and was told it was too large. The progress bar during upload gets to 100% and then orange text says "The uploaded file is too large." I've tried reducing it to below 750Kb then below 500Kb and still it says the file is too large.

The app I use gives you two options: To reduce image quality (this alone is normally enough to get the pic below the limit as per above) and also to reduce image size. I've tried both options and a combination of the two and still the photo won't upload. Thanks

The upload file size limit is set at 512KB. Please come back if you continue to have issues.

Thanks, but I just tried reducing both the image quality, and size (by 70%) taking the pic to 300Kb and still it says it's too large. Never had a problem on old site, just wondering how people can still upload, or what apps they use?

Thanks, but I just tried reducing both the image quality, and size (by 70%) taking the pic to 300Kb and still it says it's too large. Never had a problem on old site, just wondering how people can still upload, or what apps they use?

I found the old site too fussy when it came to allowable image size so always hosted my own elsewhere (Flickr for SOTD and imgbb for random photos) the new site even more restrictive :eek:

Old site limit was 1 meg and it's now 500K. Huge difficulty in migrating to the new hosting was down mostly to the accumulated large image files, so we cut down the size permissible. Certainly, if you want to post large image files then host them externally as suggested above.

@dave79 - I have successfully posted images (jpeg) of up to 500K and I reckon there must be another reason you are having problems. Can you provide further info on EXACTLY the procedure you are using?

Thanks. Just as already described really. ‘Photo Compress' app gives you two options: to both reduce the image quality and size. I've tried numerous times, it's now finally worked but I had to reduce both size and quality by a lot. As you're sliding the bars along at the top it shows you the size of the file. Even at 400 kb then 300 kb it was saying it was too large. When I finally got the pic onto the site it was under 200 kb in size. Thanks for your help

Thanks. Just as already described really. ‘Photo Compress' app gives you two options: to both reduce the image quality and size. I've tried numerous times, it's now finally worked but I had to reduce both size and quality by a lot. As you're sliding the bars along at the top it shows you the size of the file. Even at 400 kb then 300 kb it was saying it was too large. When I finally got the pic onto the site it was under 200 kb in size. Thanks for your help

Just for interest, could you check the actual size of the file to see if the reported and actual sizes are the same? I can only imagine that the actual output is larger than the program is suggesting.

I found the old site too fussy when it came to allowable image size so always hosted my own elsewhere (Flickr for SOTD and imgbb for random photos) the new site even more restrictive :eek:
I had to restrict the size, the reason the migration took so long was because of the huge amount of photos hosted here. After 9 years they have grown into a massive resource drain.

I actually commend the reduction in maximum file size for pictures due to the huge amount of mobile bandwidth consumed by downloading unnecessarily massive files. Even when viewing on a PC, resolutions don't need to exceed 1200 x 900.

Pixlr is a great option for those using smart phones. Good editing and creative tools as well as a flexible resizing option.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom