Honing a Rolls blade.

Hi all, a while back i picked up a Rolls razor that is in excellent condition, no damage to the hone or strop at all, the blade however could do with a little attention, the built in hone and strop have not managed to make it truly shave ready.

So any tips really, angle the blade slightly, or keep the blade straight? How much pressure to apply? Tape the spine or not, as sitting in the mechanism in the box the spine doesn't touch the hone/strop so the angle would be slightly different.

Anything else that could help?

Thanks.

Hi all, a while back i picked up a Rolls razor that is in excellent condition, no damage to the hone or strop at all, the blade however could do with a little attention, the built in hone and strop have not managed to make it truly shave ready.

So any tips really, angle the blade slightly, or keep the blade straight? How much pressure to apply? Tape the spine or not, as sitting in the mechanism in the box the spine doesn't touch the hone/strop so the angle would be slightly different.

Anything else that could help?

Thanks.
I sent a few rolls blades to @Fergiebilly to sort out for me and he done a great job so for advice I would say he would be the man to ask. P.

L6EV7Z5.jpg

The Rolls Shaves Like an SR..Angle Wise..They Get Honed with One Layer of Tape as Above to Get Em Shave Ready to the Same Tolerances of the Rolls System..The Rolls System Only Maintains a Shave Ready Blade..It Will Not Hone or Re Sharpen a Dull Blade..I Have Honed Hundreds of Em & Most Need Taken to the 1 K Bevel Hone Due to the Age Em..:)

You Need Youre Blade Honed as Above to Restore it..From the 1 K Bevel Hone through a Progression to 12 K..If You Want it Honed PM Me..I Will Put a Superb Edge on it..:D

Billy

Last edited:
L6EV7Z5.jpg

The Rolls Shaves Like an SR..Angle Wise..They Get Honed with One Layer of Tape as Above to Get Em Shave Ready to the Same Tolerances of the Rolls System..The Rolls System Only Maintains a Shave Ready Blade..It Will Not Hone or Re Sharpen a Dull Blade..I Have Honed Hundreds of Em & Most Need Taken to the 1 K Bevel Hone Due to the Age Em..:)

You Need Youre Blade Honed as Above to Restore it..From the 1 K Bevel Hone through a Progression to 12 K..If You Want it Honed PM Me..I Will Put a Superb Edge on it..:D

Billy

Thanks @Fergiebilly i'll certainly bare that in mind, though i've just had a recent success with my own honing, i managed to put a superb edge on a Sheffield Carrara 6/8" blade so i'll have the first go myself. Still struggling with a damned Hamburg ring blade though, so it may not turn out a success!

I finally got round to putting my Rolls blade on the hone yesterday and had my first shave with it this morning and wow :eek: quite honestly one of the best shaves i have ever had, one doesn't like to blow ones own trumpet but i must have done a pretty good job on it :cool:

It's a quirky little set up but it can certainly deliver, love it!

Back
Top Bottom