Risk for cuts/stabbings using shavette

bulb.jpg
As seen in the pic blade holder on the Dovo shavette has got a protruding bulb protecting the blade end. I think this is to make it safer in use. Anyone tested and compared the Dovo with other shavettes showing a bare blade at the top end? Thoughts on design and risk for cuts/stabbings?

View attachment 34143
As seen in the pic blade holder on the Dovo shavette has got a protruding bulb protecting the blade end. I think this is to make it safer in use. Anyone tested and compared the Dovo with other shavettes showing a bare blade at the top end? Thoughts on design and risk for cuts/stabbings?
Looks like it'd do just as you hypothesise. :) I've been using a super cheap, flimsy shavette which has no protective 'nose' to it and haven't had any weepers/nicks/cuts/stabbings* of yet. That has come after some practice with straights, however. I started with straights before DE's/SE's etc. FWIW.

*are you particularly clumsy? :D I found this quite funny.

I don't think the you would be generally cut by unguarded corners, but by the angle of the blade. The thickness of the blade can also be an issue. Injector shavettes are more rigid, as are hair shaper blades used either in the Dovo or Weck/Weck clone. I preferred cabinet blades over DE blades, there are 3 to 4 different styles. The Dovo accepts these, or a sifter razor.

While we're on shavettes, a couple of others that I tried were:

http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/index.php?threads/jaguar-solingen-the-orca-orca_s.30063/
http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/index.php?threads/burmax-diamond-edge-de-5000.30452/

The Jaguar was akin to a Feather Artist Club. Seethingly sharp, no feedback and bit unexpectedly. Conversely, the Burmax (which looks like a bit of a Dovo clone, but takes proprietary blades) was very pleasant indeed.

I've since settled on Weck and that cheapo Chinese Cloud razor from the review above. Notice in that review, the second one down is a Weck/Personna compatible FEATHER called a 'Custom Razor' and probably the predecessor to the 'Artist Club' razor.

I'm fond of those eyebrow blades too, even though they have poor longevity. Like using this nonfolding razor/holder with them (took the pic from the seller's page (now out of stock)):

eyebrow.JPG

Anyone know of a source for these razors?

Have you thought about a Luxor Pro Shavette

NFNpq6g.jpg

Back
Top Bottom