Newbie Shaving progress.

Into my second week now and 5th shave using a Merkur 34c, Astra platinum blade, Palmolive stick soap. First 3 shaves were with a Merkur blade and I've now progressed to the Astra blade. Today's shave was the first where I really thought I had a good lather on the brush but I'm always a little disappointed with the first pass of the razor WTG. Now wether (that's) down to my technique or I'm expecting too much perhaps you guys can shed a little light. After a second and third pass across and against I end up with a very smooth and clean shave. Very satisfied and am really enjoying taking the time to have a proper shave.

What I'd really like to find now is a decent lathering bowl/cup but the prices for such seem ridiculous, not that I'm tight but I'd rather spend my hard earned on something else! So open to any and all suggestions. Do they need to have a texture inside or ridges to get a good lather?

Cheers,
Brendan.

I prefer to face lather but if you need or want a bowl then get down to Home Bargains. Salsa bowl in various colours for less than £2 also stainless steel bowls for about 40 pence.
bc9190f2bb11803f5bfbbc0cfb3cae43.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yesterday I tried bowl lathering , painting the lovely lather onto my face as I have seen done in a shaving video. Awful shave, tugging etc. I started again with my usual face lathering, thus seems to massage and soften the beard. I don't use pre shave cream. Excellent shaves. Before I lather properly, I uses a thin lather and work this into my face, then do the proper lathering.

Into my second week now and 5th shave using a Merkur 34c, Astra platinum blade, Palmolive stick soap. First 3 shaves were with a Merkur blade and I've now progressed to the Astra blade. Today's shave was the first where I really thought I had a good lather on the brush but I'm always a little disappointed with the first pass of the razor WTG. Now wether (that's) down to my technique or I'm expecting too much perhaps you guys can shed a little light. After a second and third pass across and against I end up with a very smooth and clean shave. Very satisfied and am really enjoying taking the time to have a proper shave.

What I'd really like to find now is a decent lathering bowl/cup but the prices for such seem ridiculous, not that I'm tight but I'd rather spend my hard earned on something else! So open to any and all suggestions. Do they need to have a texture inside or ridges to get a good lather?

Cheers,
Brendan.

Each pass will "reduce" the length of whiskers , making for a comfortable shave.
Entirely different to shaving with multi bladed disposable cartridges.
I remember the days when I would shave off a weeks growth in one pass against the grain with a Mach 3 !! Try that with a DE and you'll realise why growth reducIng passes are the order of the day.
I only bowl lather creams. Face latherIng helps to prepare my face for shaving.
Try a small cereal bowl for bowl latherIng before spending on a dedicated bowl.

Like all of these things, you can spend as much or as little as you like. A bowl is a bowl whether it cost £1 or £40.

I have the Home Bargains bowl mentioned by @Sportsbike. They call it a Tapas bowl and I think it was £1.60. Mine is a nice mid blue colour. The ridge at the bottom is ideal for holding as you work the lather

Another bit of advice I would give is not to fall for marketing hype. As you have seen with shaving bowls is that it is just a bowl. Put the word “shaving” in front and charge 10 times the amount. Same goes for post shave balm. It is just a moisturiser. I use baby lotion or some other moisturiser. Same result at a fraction of the cost. It works for me. Try things out beforehand and save your money. David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom