What are you reading at the moment?

The Broker by John Grisham. I am not a big reader of fiction but i do like the writing style of John Grisham. I have said before that his books are becoming a little predictable, but they are still a good, easy read.
My father finished reading it a couple of weeks ago. He said it was a pretty amazing experience even though the action was minimal.

Need a piece of advice. Should I buy this:

51x5zafgqkL._SX374_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

or that:

51BhC0ZTGDL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

or this?

41WwoY18mSL._SX308_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Been a busy week reading wise this past week or so. Since my last post here I have read the following:
  • Beauty and Sadness by Yasunari Kawabata
  • The Reader On the 6.27 by Jean ierre Didierlaurent
  • Men Without Women by Haruki Marakami
  • Purgatory by Dante (switched to audiobook from Canto X)
  • Paradise by Dante
All enjoyable reads, gaining a new appreciation for Asian literature, especially Kawabata and Murakami.

Currently reading

Conclave by Robert Harris
9780091959166.jpg

&

Kokoro by Natsume Soseko

220px-Kokoro01.jpg

Been a busy week reading wise this past week or so. Since my last post here I have read the following:
  • Beauty and Sadness by Yasunari Kawabata
  • The Reader On the 6.27 by Jean ierre Didierlaurent
  • Men Without Women by Haruki Marakami
  • Purgatory by Dante (switched to audiobook from Canto X)
  • Paradise by Dante
All enjoyable reads, gaining a new appreciation for Asian literature, especially Kawabata and Murakami.

Currently reading

Conclave by Robert Harris
9780091959166.jpg

&

Kokoro by Natsume Soseko

220px-Kokoro01.jpg
Are you enjoying Conclave? I loved it!

Worked my way through the Bond novels, got Man with the Golden Gun and Live and Let Die to go, brilliant entertainment.

Just about finished this

[attachment=3021]

Great writer. Funny, gory, sexy and makes you think about our little time we have here.
+1 ...also re-reading Flemming...the casual racism, bigotry, misogny and inverted snobbery becomes more evident as the years pass by. The story telling remains superb though if only I could drink a carafe of vodka and a bottle of champagne and still be able to function...:)

I am 3/4 of the way through Conjurer on the Kwai. Absolutely fascinating account of Fergus Anckorn's experiences as a POW in Thailiand/Burma. He was one lucky lucky man so many times. This one will be a keeper without doubt

upload_2017-6-23_18-47-23.jpeg

Does anyone else keep a record of what books they have read? Sad sack that I am, here is what I've read so far this year:

The President's Hat (Antoine Laurain)
The Death of Ivan Ilyich (Leo Tolstoy)
Time and Time Again (Ben Elton)
After You (Jojo Moyes)
The Princess Bride (William Goldman)
Golden Hill (Francis Spufford)
To Have and Have Another (Philip Greene)
Our Kind of Traitor (John Le Carré)
The Post Office Girl (Stefan Zweig)
Sapiens: a Brief History of Humankind (Yuval Noah Harari)
D Day Through German Eyes (Holger Eckhertz)
D Day Through German Eyes: Book 2 (Holger Eckhertz)
The Yompers: with 45 Commando in the Falklands War (Ian R Gardiner)
Admissions; a Life in Brain Surgery (Henry Marsh)
Faith vs. Fact: Why Science and Religion are Incompatible (Jerry A. Coyne)
The Moon's a Balloon (David Niven)
What a Carve Up! (Jonathan Coe)
The Last Panther (Wolfgang Faust)
My Year Off (Robert McCrum)
Sniper on the Eastern Front (Sepp Allerberger)

Probably a bit heavier on the military history side than is usual for me. I blame the marketing offers from Amazon...

God knows I wanted to like it and there's clearly a pretty good whodunit in there somewhere but all the Latin bollocks and endless droning on about religion was too much for me and I stopped reading long before we got to "indistinguishable monk 3 in the conservatory with the candlestick" bit.
:)
Yes, the book uses some terms in Latin that compel us to consult the dictionary, but they are terms that do not influence the text itself much. A bit in the context of the moment, but not much overall.
As for the religious references, it goes some way towards the period of the innumerable "heresies" of the time.

Back
Top Bottom