Semogue 1438 Woes

I just simply cannot get this Semogue 1438 boar brush to work. I have used it at least 40 times or better and have tried countless break in methods and it just simply doesn't lather worth a tinker's damn!! :mad: It's like using a broom on my face. On the other hand, I have a bare bones basic Omega boar brush that broke in easily & works like a champ. I swear I could use the Semogue to polish marble! :rolleyes:

I just simply cannot get this Semogue 1438 boar brush to work. I have used it at least 40 times or better and have tried countless break in methods and it just simply doesn't lather worth a tinker's damn!! :mad: It's like using a broom on my face. On the other hand, I have a bare bones basic Omega boar brush that broke in easily & works like a champ. I swear I could use the Semogue to polish marble! :rolleyes:
I got the same brush for 2 years, although I don't use it regularly due to same problem, I keep it on the shelf because it's a cool and classic looking brush. It is good to look at it but not good to use.

I had the same issue with a Semogue 2000. All it was doing was scooping up cream and plastering it across my face rather than lathering. Switched to using Plisson synths and never looked back.

I read that Zenith boar brushes are excellent as well and a notch in quality above Omega.
The Zenith handles are certainly better than most of the Omegas and the knots are probably better than the O49 but the O48 knot is imo of the same quality as the zenith, however these and again imo fall below the quality of the Semouge 2000, a superb brush. :)

Last edited:
I read that Zenith boar brushes are excellent as well and a notch in quality above Omega.
I got Zenith Boar, looks same as the big Omega, but the hand is Solid Aluminium and it feels like the loft is better quality. So from my experience I can confirm what you've red and would recommend to all boar brush users.

I got Zenith Boar, looks same as the big Omega, but the hand is Solid Aluminium and it feels like the loft is better quality. So from my experience I can confirm what you've red and would recommend to all boar brush users.
I thought the Zenith handle had a plastic core but with a thick aluminium jacket.... But I'm not going to cut mine open to find out. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom