Best Bay Rum

Satanfriendly

Supporter
Supporter
LeJog 2022 Finisher
I recently bought a cheap bottle of Boots Bay Rum (£2.75) and do like the scent even if it doesn't state what it is for or what it is. My hairdresser uses it as an hair tonic, but sure it could pass as a cologne or aftershave. Multi-use? Washing the dishes?

Any recommendations as to any further brand worth a look in?

I recently bought a cheap bottle of Boots Bay Rum (£2.75) and do like the scent even if it doesn't state what it is for or what it is. My hairdresser uses it as an hair tonic, but sure it could pass as a cologne or aftershave. Multi-use? Washing the dishes?

DR Harris
Bello bay rum

The OSP bay rum after shave is fantastic.
Discontinued now, if some came up on bst, well worth a punt.

James Riley posted that the essential oil used is no longer available to him.
A real pity as the soap & splash are outstanding.

Yes, it is actually a hair tonic but as you said it can be used as cologne, aftershave. I remember reading somewhere that originally it was used by sailors travelling to hotter climates, used it to repel insects mosquitos etc..
apart from Boots I have Pinaud's bay rum, it is not very different from boots. Also I find that both boots and pinauds bay rum burns more compared to their aftershaves. So I don't use them as an A/S but they work great in summer as a face or body splash to feel fresh

I've been using the boots bay rum on my hair every morning for about 3 weeks now, its meant to revitalise dull and lifeless hair and grey hair. I had all three and have really noticed a difference. I've got about a weeks worth left and will definitely be getting some more.
In my opinion its great stuff with a great scent, less Christmasy than the pinaud clubmam, which is also very nice.

Last edited:
that is a very correct and spot on explanation for Pinauds bay rum 'Christmasy' well said @SAnderson781
when it comes to hair tonics, Pashana's eau de cologne, eau de Portugal, Pinauds greasless hair tonic(same scent as the aftershave and just under £7 delivered) are great options as hair tonics, Pashana's eau de quinine is also a hair tonic but the smell is so strong and will definitely over power your aftershave or EdT or whatever you are wearing, however I bet it is the best for your hair.

So I went the way of Pashana and simply haven't looked back. Great product without being overwhelming in scent. £5.94 from Salons Direct which for a 250ml bottle made it better value than Boots at £2.99 for 115ml.

Very happy and smelling like a Christmas cake in Spring.

Back
Top Bottom