Picked up a CJB straight

Ordered on Ebay yesterday. Arrived today. New to straights. What have I let myself in for :rolleyes: I thought getting the CJB would be a good lower cost introduction to this style of shaving. I already have the blades from my SEs. No doubt this will lead to straights and strops/hones and more paraphernalia!

One of the reasons I decided on getting one is the lack of success I've had using the AC blades in my SE razors as discussed here. So it may seem like a bonkers idea to then go out and buy a shavette that takes exactly the same blades! But out of curiosity I just wanted to know if it's the blades that don't agree with me or it's the angle the SE razors position the blade that I find uncomfortable. This is probably a stupid idea but I don't think many of us use common sense in this hobby!

Expect to see this razor on BST next week ;-)

I've had one of these and another make (very similar which I converted to a 'folder' rather like the Kamisori style as yours is) for some time.

Excellent razors, but take care. The razor must be used as a 'chopper', do not ever ever use a slicing action or else you will suffer. Otherwise they are capable of giving a close but comfortably smooth shave.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
So I survived my first ever straight shave. Certainly makes you feel alive doesn't it! Managed one full WTG pass and half a XTG pass. Probably more than is recommended for a first straight shave. I lost my nerve when I caught my moustache area during the XTG. The styptic pencil did its job. Finished off with a DE.

Very tempted to get the Gold Dollar and strop package from Billyji1 but I think it's probably wise not to mix two different razor types at this early stage. Perhaps I'll stick with the CJB for a month or so and see how I feel. These FAC blades really are unforgiving and quite brutal!

Congratulations! You went beyond what they recommend on SRP. They advocate one dominant hand/dominant side WTG pass for the first shave, then do the second pass on the cheek area on day 2 and after that switching to the non-dominant side. The wisdom is that it takes around 100 straight razor shaves to get the knack. I'm on day 2 of the training method with a Sanguine Coolcut shavette (Schick injector blades) and I'm pleased to have done two passes today without drawing blood! Move on to my left hand tomorrow.

Thanks. One of the nice things about these types of razors is you can practice without a blade. So I've been doing that. Every little helps.

Feels extremely awkward when I use my left hand. Almost like it doesn't belong to me. I'll persevere with the swapping hands thing. I know not everyone does it. I suppose it's what works best and feels comfortable.

You have me intrigued with the razor you mention. I have loads of Injector blades!

You've made me go and order one of those Sanguines! ;-) For £12 why not.

Congratulations! You went beyond what they recommend on SRP. They advocate one dominant hand/dominant side WTG pass for the first shave, then do the second pass on the cheek area on day 2 and after that switching to the non-dominant side. The wisdom is that it takes around 100 straight razor shaves to get the knack. I'm on day 2 of the training method with a Sanguine Coolcut shavette (Schick injector blades) and I'm pleased to have done two passes today without drawing blood! Move on to my left hand tomorrow.

Well second shave with the CJB and I think I've had it with these blades. As I reported in another thread (link in the first post) I find these blades extremely uncomfortable in both the CJB and SE and perhaps most importantly they just don't seem to cut my hairs. It's very strange considering these things are supposed to be the sharpest things on earth. Halfway through the shave I switched to the Sanguine shavette with an injector blade and suddenly the hairs were getting cut and it wasn't tugging and pulling like the FAC blades. Much, much smoother.

Oh well. My experiment with FAC blades has come to an end. I may well put the CJB, El jefe and Hawk on BST pretty soon.

Although the Sanguine with injector shaved much more comfortably and efficiently I'm not sure straight shaving is for me. I can't say I've enjoyed one second of it so far! Not helped by my experience with FAC blades. Perhaps I need to try a proper SR. Feel quite dissilusioned with it.

Hmmm....

I started with the CJB and like you I was expecting to pass it on after trying it (if I survived the first shave, that is).

Turns out I loved it. I ended buying and selling a few FAC razors until I found my current weapon of choice - a non folding Kai Excelia :

ce9c4cfabaadc82571cbebfa9ed91e71.jpg

Also have a boring Captain Kai folding.

I get excellent shaves from both.

I dabbled with SR's but I much prefer the AC type razors - less faff.

Are you sure you have the correct angle?

Back
Top Bottom