Your favourite hair tonic?

Sometimes I like to apply a hair tonic to my hair after showering. I've been using Ossion Fresh Massage Hair Tonic for a few years now. However, it's not available in the UK so my stock is replenished from my frequent holidays to Dubai. Ossion is a lovely, soothing hair tonic. It cools the scalp incredibly well. It has very little scent and certainly no scent that lingers. I only wish it was available to buy in the UK

Last week I ordered Pashana American Bay Rum hair tonic. The scent is very strong and, perhaps, not for everyone. I like it! It's easily applied, but it doesn't have a cooling effect on the scalp. However, it does leave my hair feeling a lot nicer than the Ossion - a lot softer and a touch shinier. If you have uncontrolled hair like me then you'll need sponge/putty to top it off. I use L'Oreal Matt and Messy sponge as it's very light so doesn't make its presence obvious, but does provide a very light hold.

So, what's your favourite hair tonic?

Sometimes I like to apply a hair tonic to my hair after showering. I've been using Ossion Fresh Massage Hair Tonic for a few years now. However, it's not available in the UK so my stock is replenished from my frequent holidays to Dubai. Ossion is a lovely, soothing hair tonic. It cools the scalp incredibly well. It has very little scent and certainly no scent that lingers. I only wish it was available to buy in the UK

Last week I ordered Pashana American Bay Rum hair tonic. The scent is very strong and, perhaps, not for everyone. I like it! It's easily applied, but it doesn't have a cooling effect on the scalp. However, it does leave my hair feeling a lot nicer than the Ossion - a lot softer and a touch shinier. If you have uncontrolled hair like me then you'll need sponge/putty to top it off. I use L'Oreal Matt and Messy sponge as it's very light so doesn't make its presence obvious, but does provide a very light hold.

So, what's your favourite hair tonic?
Mine is not a tonic as such, it is a hair cream it's Tabac hair cream, it's water based so non greasy and gives a little condition and control and the wonderful scent of Tabac, if you've not tried it give it a go, it's cheap enough. :)

I use Boots Bay Rum. It's about £3 a bottle. I decant it into a spray bottle. Not entirely sure what hair tonic is supposed to achieve but the BR has cured my dry scalp. I read about it somewhere else on t'internet and it worked so I kept at it.

I have Pashana original hair lotion. I have only used it once, its quite strong the scent. I might try and decant it in to a spray bottle. I did not like the scent on my hands. I also dont know what is supposed to do only got it because my Barber recommended it.

When I use this kind of thing at all, it has to be Pashana Eau de Portugal (without oil version). Very refreshing and cooling, especially during the summer months.

*The link above shows the product listed at Maguire's Barbershop. This is not necessarily an endorsement of that store, simply a link I happened to find to the product. It could well be available cheaper elsewhere. I don't know.

OK, you did ask....

Only very recently did I start to put anything at all on my barnet (and, yes, even at 66, I still have most of it there... the good Lord in his wisdom and kindness granted me a full head of hair even he he was a bit measly in other areas of generosity).

Following some recommendations and a bit of research I went out and bought Dax Wax Blue Short And Neat Light Hair Dressing - 99g for a couple of quid, a tube of Ingram Condition & Style Hair Cream 100ml for less than a pound in Savers, some Wilko Argan oil for £2.50 a bottle (the cheapest in the land), plus some Dabur Vatika in Coconut and Garlic varieties from Superdrug (cheap as chips and delivered free if you register).

And I have to say a tiny smidge of any (or all mixed in together) has made a big difference to how it behaves now. You're probably not supposed to mix them all together and rub them well in... but who's counting? It works and that's all that counts. If you overdo it you can always wet it again and give it a good rub with a towel and that gets it back to a manageable state.

Having said that... I shall look at the suggestions here and see if I can't add a something else to the mix. You just can't beat a bit of mix and match.

I've been on a long quest to find a hair dressing that doesn't leave my hair stiff and sticky, as gels do, greasy/oily, as Brylcreem does, or dry and fly-away, as tonics do. About two weeks ago, however, I procured a bottle of Trumper West Indies Extract of Limes Hair Cream and it seems to be doing the trick. It's non-greasy/oily and leaves my fine, thinning hair manageable without being sticky or stiff; it has even tamed the Tintin bit at the front. The limes scent is subtle, but refreshing and doesn't hang around.

I don't use a air tonic as such but have taken to applying a smidgen of Yardley Lavender Brilliantine to help style the old barnet. Got a fine head of hair and so's my old man at 70. Happy days indeed.

Back
Top Bottom