Hello from The Netherlands/North Wales

Hi all!

I'm Mike, currently in the process of moving from the Netherlands to North Wales.

Firstly I have to admit that if it wasn't for one of my best mates (who got into DE shaving about six months ago) I probably would've spent my whole life shaving with cartridges. He got me a starter kit about two weeks ago from the shave lounge and I thought I'd just give it a try.

My facial hair isn't very rough or thick so never had any problems whatsoever with the cartridges BUT after having used the kit daily for two weeks I had to use my mach 3/nivea foam again today and the difference amazed me.

Although it was a lot faster there wasn't that amazing WOW feeling after shaving and my girlfriend commented on how rough my skin felt about halfway through the day!

Hmm I maybe should try to keep it shorter in the future, kind of writing a book here, but I still have a couple of questions, hope it's ok to ask them here right away!

As I'm travelling a lot between the Netherlands and Wales I'll need a second set of shaving supplies. Even though I've read that as a beginner it's best to stick to one razor/blade combo until you've mastered the technique, but as I'm buying new stuff anyway I'm more tempted to try different things!

I'm thinking of getting the Merkur 34C (similar to the EJ from my starter kit?), razor blade sample pack 2 from shave lounge (feather, personna, polsilver, gilette silver blue and wilkinson sword), the sample pack of creams and balms from Truefitt&Hill.

Please do say if there's anything 'wrong' with these choices, or why it wouldn't be ok for an almost complete newbie. Now just need to read up on what brush to get!

Ow and thank you so much for hanging in there and reading till the end! ;)

Hi all!

I'm Mike, currently in the process of moving from the Netherlands to North Wales.

Firstly I have to admit that if it wasn't for one of my best mates (who got into DE shaving about six months ago) I probably would've spent my whole life shaving with cartridges. He got me a starter kit about two weeks ago from the shave lounge and I thought I'd just give it a try.

My facial hair isn't very rough or thick so never had any problems whatsoever with the cartridges BUT after having used the kit daily for two weeks I had to use my mach 3/nivea foam again today and the difference amazed me.

Although it was a lot faster there wasn't that amazing WOW feeling after shaving and my girlfriend commented on how rough my skin felt about halfway through the day!

Hmm I maybe should try to keep it shorter in the future, kind of writing a book here, but I still have a couple of questions, hope it's ok to ask them here right away!

As I'm travelling a lot between the Netherlands and Wales I'll need a second set of shaving supplies. Even though I've read that as a beginner it's best to stick to one razor/blade combo until you've mastered the technique, but as I'm buying new stuff anyway I'm more tempted to try different things!

I'm thinking of getting the Merkur 34C (similar to the EJ from my starter kit?), razor blade sample pack 2 from shave lounge (feather, personna, polsilver, gilette silver blue and wilkinson sword), the sample pack of creams and balms from Truefitt&Hill.

Please do say if there's anything 'wrong' with these choices, or why it wouldn't be ok for an almost complete newbie. Now just need to read up on what brush to get!

Hello and welcome Mike, it is considered best practice to stick to one razor until you have mastered your technique but there is no hard and fast rule as far as this is concerned.
The 34c and some sample blades should be ok if you don't fancy travelling with your shave kit.
I started off with a Muhle R89 and a R41, these razors are poles apart and it didn't seem to set me back any.
Good luck with your move and your journey into DE shaving. Paul.

Welcome.
The 34c is quite similar to the EJ DE89 in that it is a solidly made middle ground razor.
I would shake it up a little & go for the merkur slant 37c, its a great, great razor. Don't listen to the slant is more aggressive bunkum. My skin is super sensitive, the slant was a revelation (in a good way).

Hi all!

Welcome

Based on the fact you seem to be getting good results already and appear to have adjusted to a DE without issue, my guess is that using different razors will not be a problem in your case. Let's face it you are going to own more than one razor sooner or later if you are on here! ;)

Personally I would recommend the blade sample pack you suggest, for me some of those blades are my favourites, some are just OK and some are not for me, but I only know that now as I tried them. You never know you may be lucky and they may all be suited to you.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! And for the advice of course. I do already notice the difference between blades which seem to work better than others (or it might be because I'm not fully awake yet at half three in the morning..) so definitely the sample pack.

Was thinking of getting the vulfix 404 brush after a bit of research this seems to be an OK starter brush that's a bit different from the Omega I've got.

As for the slant razor @JayGee suggested, hmm I had been been looking at that one but not sure if that's a step I dare to take. It might turn out it won't be for me but then it'll be what @Bizzyberry said, I'll probably get more than a couple of razors anyway.

Is the technique different for the slant vs the 34c? Or just make sure I move the razor 'straight'?

I see this getting as addictive as my other hobby, polishing cars, which is very similar with getting hundreds of shampoos, cleaner products, waxes, quick detailers, brushes and buffing machines ;)

Great responses so far, already learnt a lot. Had the best shave so far yesterday but not properly lathered this morning so cut myself once..

Placed an order with the shave lounge for the second razor blade sample pack, a vulfix 404 brush, the Merkur 37c razor and the truefitt and hill sampler pack.

@Luckypip that would be brilliant! I'll send you a message either tonight or tomorrow, thanks a lot!

Thanks!

First shave with the 37c today, samples not in yet so with Palmolive cream, polsilver blade and only wtg and xtg passes. I'd describe it as effortless, very pleased as I feared the slant a bit. Fairly smooth and no nicks or rash at all!

Back
Top Bottom